This seems to be a completely ridiculous situation! On the one hand, the LA are stating that your mother is self-funding as she has a house. On the other, that they have disregarded her property. For care at home, any property is disregarded (otherwise, where else would the person being cared for li...
We have plain glass (not overlooked) with roller blinds (as I don't like to look out on "black" at night). Reminds me of our first married home together - a semi-basement flat with the bathroom at the front. It had frosted glass and we thought that was OK … until some neighbours kindly told us that ...
I would definitely go for the "ease of visiting" option every time! Mum's care home is just a very short detour on the journey between my house and local supermarket, so lots of visits are "drop ins" and "pop ins" when I'm out and about anyway (she also comes to our house for the day and gets taken ...
Do I understand from your previous post that your sister and the social worker (without reference to you!) have arranged for mum/bed/carers to come to your house? If so, then I would refuse to accept the bed without further discussions regarding reablement etc.
Apologies for the delay in posting the update. Unfortunately, my computer is right by one of the sunniest windows in the house so have been limiting my times online! I've now obtained a copy of my mum's DNR and am happy to say that everything seems in order. The document was completed after discussi...
Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to comment. I did a little more research online into this subject yesterday evening - and what I found chilled me to the core (despite the heat!). It seems that thousands and thousands of DNRs are placed in the files of the elderly, both in care homes and hospit...

DNR

Hi … Will try and keep this brief, but would appreciate any thoughts/advice on the following. Mum is 93, full mental capacity but with rapidly decreasing mobility and general frailty, and has been resident in a local care home for the past five years. After she had been in the care home for about a ...
Well, I don't think my mum has had a shower in all of the four years that she's been in residential care - not for lack of persuasion by the care staff and the fact that she moved to a better room with an ensuite wetroom. When I asked her recently why she wouldn't let the staff help her, she replied...
Susan, I'm actually quite shocked that your mother has to use her weekly "pocket money" to pay for transport to medical appointments. My own mother (self-funding in a care home) has attended hospital outpatients about four times in the last three weeks. If she had been paying out of a c£25.00, then ...
Do you think that there is any chance that your mum might qualify for NHS Continuing Healthcare (in which case her care home fees would be paid by the NHS)? Did anyone mention this to you?

Full details here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/healthcare/