That's a great tip - thank you!

I have to use the rear entrance door at my mother's care home as I can't push her in her wheelchair up the very long ramp to the front door. They've recently replaced it with a very heavy plate glass door that I can barely hold open whilst manoeuvring mum through.
Not sure if it's at all relevant - but I understood that property was not taken into account when doing a financial assessment for domiciliary care (ie. not residential care) and only your mother's savings should be taken into account to determine whether she is self-funding or LA-funded. I wonder i...
Thank you for all your replies. The CQC said that it may constitute "deprivation of liberty", but when I look into this it seems to refer to safeguarding under the Mental Capacity Act - not being "trapped" in one's care home in this sort of situation. They did say that we could contact our local SSD...
Just to add …

We have contacted the CQC today, but apparently there's nothing they can do until the next scheduled inspection. They have said that they will contact us again nearer that date and will raise the matter "anonymously" with the care home at the time.
Will try and keep this as brief as possible, but would appreciate any comments/advice. Mum (mid 90s, self-funding, physical problems only) has been in her care home for five years. She has a room on the first floor. Over those years, the lift has broken down on numerous occasions (once for almost fo...
This seems to be a completely ridiculous situation! On the one hand, the LA are stating that your mother is self-funding as she has a house. On the other, that they have disregarded her property. For care at home, any property is disregarded (otherwise, where else would the person being cared for li...
We have plain glass (not overlooked) with roller blinds (as I don't like to look out on "black" at night). Reminds me of our first married home together - a semi-basement flat with the bathroom at the front. It had frosted glass and we thought that was OK … until some neighbours kindly told us that ...
I would definitely go for the "ease of visiting" option every time! Mum's care home is just a very short detour on the journey between my house and local supermarket, so lots of visits are "drop ins" and "pop ins" when I'm out and about anyway (she also comes to our house for the day and gets taken ...
Do I understand from your previous post that your sister and the social worker (without reference to you!) have arranged for mum/bed/carers to come to your house? If so, then I would refuse to accept the bed without further discussions regarding reablement etc.
Apologies for the delay in posting the update. Unfortunately, my computer is right by one of the sunniest windows in the house so have been limiting my times online! I've now obtained a copy of my mum's DNR and am happy to say that everything seems in order. The document was completed after discussi...