I neglected to say she has a firm diagnosis of Alzheimer's and we have all the financial help in place, plus a fridge full of Fortisip - but it still doesn't address the problem as Sue has pointed out. She does sometimes sip a bit of water, but is now very emaciated.
How do you cope with a loved one who refuses to be coaxed, won't get out of bed, won't eat, won't be washed or have her nappy changed? She just says NO and sits with her arms folded. She's in her 80s and too frail to manhandle.
Its heartbreaking.
How are you getting on with the problem now?
Who am I angry with? Good question. Myself, God, her for getting ill, life, the rest of the world ...................... I suspect its pretty normal to feel angry .................. or is it the feeling of helplessness that does it? Its like banging your head against the wall at times, and I don't e...
Pretty dramatic, those pictures, aren't they - wow! From what I've been able to see she doesn't have bed sores. I would say just in this last fortnight she has become pretty much bedridden although her legs work OK when she needs the toilet which is a blessing. However her muscles have shrunk and sh...
Will she get bed sores? Should I try to get a district nurse to call in? Would that be arranged through her GP? She won't let me examine her and because she's only wearing her nightie I can't roll her over to have a crafty look, but her shoulder blades seem ok. I've asked the lovely caring lady who ...
Thats something I'd not considered Denis but your reasoning is sound. (sorry couldn't resist). Like the cheap specs you can buy over the counter, they are useful to have in the car for map reading etc, but they are just magnifying glasses really. What I like about the private hearing aids is their n...
It was the 'bodily functions' that finished us off and as a family it made us all feel ashamed with ourselves because none of us could cope with the stink of the things - adults do make the most appalling smells and the whole house eventually gets infused with it. That and the sheer indignity of hav...
My Mum eventually had to wear them 24/7 but when they were wet she would simply stand up (with a struggle) and take them off, knickers and all and drop them on the carpet sopping wet and often soiled. It didn't matter how many visitors we had - it would have been funny if the nappy didn't stink to h...
Assuming she's suffering from some kind of dementia, I doubt if she's bothered about strangers as she won't be able to consider about embarrassing them, but hwatever the reason you need to approach it like BB says. Say its 'time' and insist on taking her whether or not she thinks she needs to 'go'. ...