Have you tried her GP? or Age Concern? It wasn't until we had to have a home visit that Mums Gp realised just how bad she is, and after that we got all manner of aids from Social Services including a temporary ramp and hand rails (which you may not need with a walking frame) Some very unsuitable thi...
Oh how I would love to have someone to do the ironing! :cry: Mum exists on chocolate and cake (GP says since she refuses the fortisip and similar just let her eat whatever she wants, forget nutrition) and we have managed to get her weight back up to over 6 stone last week which is a major achievemen...
(Laughs hysterically)! I've had so much 'help' from professionals I'm thinking of employing a secretary to manage my grants, benefits, tax help - you name it, I'm claiming it - as I expect most carers are - and very useful they are too. But I see you all understand the desperation we all feel by nee...
No, I wouldn't have wanted friends to see me in that state either (that's why I don't want an 'open coffin' because I don't want to be stared at when I'm dead - how daft is that?) Are you being kind and saying - OK have visitors whilst she's awake and responding, but ask them to leave when she gets ...
Does it help the patient if a visitor just sits with a sufferer whilst they sleep? My Mum has a few moments of lucidity here and there but spends most of her time asleep. Visitors have stopped coming because they say there is nothing they can do except sit by her side feeling useless. I feel sure ju...
Those suggestions sound very helpful. Did you carry on looking or did you give up like most of us do. If you found someone, was it worthwhile? Your comments would be really helpful - I know most people just can't find the energy to carry on looking!
Rosemary, you haven't answered any of these replies and suggestions, I hope everything's OK with you.
I have no experience of catheters - yet. But in the very likely chance of having to get used to them in the near future - can you clear up a point that is confusing me? During the night do you have TWO bags? - one on the leg (day bag) and another one outside the bed (night one) and is the idea that ...
Thank you Sajehar, I have printed that off and keep it by the cooker to read again when I'm feeling desperate. There are a lot of ideas to try and I'm very grateful. It occurs to me that members of this forum could get together and pool their knowledge into a textbook on care of the demented! I agre...
Yes, good thinking. I'll give it a try!
She herself often says that when she goes to sleep at night she hopes this is 'it' and she doesn't wake up in the morning. Cruel!