If my eldest didn't live with me, I decided long ago that I would turn his bedroom into a guest room for carers or widows in need of a break and a bit of TLC.
Before I'm inundated with bookings, there is absolutely no sign of my eldest ever leaving home again.
Hi Gilli, I was Special Visits Organiser at the Motor Museum for a while, but gave up when I was expecting No.1 baby. The current Chief Engineer there was an apprentice when I worked there, and the other workshop engineer knew my OH very well, as they used to work for the same man. My OH was invited...
Is it possible for you to record the phone conversations? They might give the psychiatrist useful insight into the real issues.
Is the Guilt Monster lurking? You should be feeling proud for what you are doing for mum, never beat yourself up for what you can't do. Mum should be really grateful for your care. My way of looking at situations like this now, is that if you love mum so much that you are prepared to spend 48 weeks ...
Forget about what mum or you want. It's now all about NEEDS. You need a break if you are to continue to care for mum. Mum needs someone around all the time. So either mum moves into a nursing home where staff are around all the time, or mum stays at home with extra help. Mum is entirely responsible ...
I've just made the marzipan for the cake (eldest son and grandson have gone beating, M is at his flat). I don't hate Christmas as such, we are not religious and I always call it a Festival for the Family. I've always been chief cook and bottle washer, and doing the marzipan has been a reminder that ...
There are many of us here who find Christmas hard. My youngest son is 38, but a mental age of about 3 because he was brain damaged at birth. He loves all the excitement of Christmas, but most his day services are closed for almost a fortnight, so he's home with me for most of the time. I'm a 65 year...
Has anyone told you about NHS Continuing Healthcare? If dad has very significant health needs, or a time limited illness, it might be better for him. However, it is very much a postcode lottery.
His Needs Assessment should be reviewed at least annually, more if there is a change in circumstances. They should not have just changed something without involving you. Make a formal complaint to the LA Social Services Complaints Officer at HQ, you should be able to do it online. Ask for an urgent ...
No, it's sometimes writing your honest feelings down that really helps. I often find writing things down easier than saying them. We travel a hard road, others may want to tell us how well we are coping for their own selfish reasons, it excuses them from doing what they themselves should be helping ...