I worked with elderly people for years, and following on from the previous comments, I do remember one training session where we were told that the brain can invent things when its under stimulated. This was years ago, and training changed very much over time, so maybe this is now not relevant, but ...
All really good, sound advice, Natasha. I can only reiterate that anyone at all that you speak to regarding your mum: please remember to take their name. Might be an idea to keep a little notebook handy if it seems you're going to have a battle on your hands.. (and isn't everything always?) Good luc...
Also, you asked if mum can weight bear at all.. to answer that, I've been trying so hard to try and maintain her ability to stand, as I realise it can make such a difference to how "helpless" she is. I'm not sure now, however, since everything takes so long to get into place, and I had the devils ow...
Ha! Thanks ladies for all your responses. Mrs average, my mum has struggled for years to stand at all. Then one day she just couldn't find it within herself to stand. Her knee is dislocated, and her back is in an awful, awful state. I'm reluctantly in awe of her determination thus far to "manage". I...
I'm just so frustrated, Susie; worn out and frazzled. Its been an awful time since my mum finally was unable to stand. She spent weeks in bed, unable to even stand to shuffle onto a commode. Its taken weeks and weeks to try and get everything in place - lots of upset with social services and the car...
Just had a text from my sister, (she is looking after mum for a week) The long awaited hoist for mums lounge arrived yet again yesterday, and my sister has sent it away, as its "too big" and "mum doesn't want it" and last but not least 'the carers only want it to make things easier for themselves" W...
Hi pope pourri,

It sounds like your dad is having a busy time of it! I was going to suggest seeing if your dad may have a urine infection: they seem to be a regular thing with some older people, and can cause the type of issues your dad has.
Hope today is a good one for your dad and you x
Hi laine, I just wanted to say that I too am amazed (and angry!) that end of life care is so disorganised and stressful. My daughter has stage 4 breast cancer, and her life is an endless list of Macmillan nurses who don't turn up, equipment which never gets delivered, prescriptions which aren't read...
My mum was in hospital last year, and the "care" was abysmal. Nurses were openly on their phones - one whilst she was tidying up a ladies bed (she was in it at the time; the lady, not the nurse - that would have been a step too far!) Everyone was tucked up in bed by 7pm, and the lights dimmed, whils...
Done!!