!!!!! How utterly infuriating. Honestly, it defies belief sometimes that people do these things for my Dad. You start off then its set in stone with him and SOMEONE has to do it. This is about the 5th time that someone elses offer has been passed onto me. I've told him no can do. Dad won't be happy...
The neediness that comes with old age seems to come with built in selfishness. Well done for standing firm. Just need your uncle to get brave now! Tell me about it. He comes over as such a sweet helpless old man then people get his measure. Unfortunately the rest of the family mollycoddle him. Had ...
Some disgraceful behaviour by Dad...... He had an opticians appt this week. He hinted about 10 times for me to take him. (Nope I aint taking 1/2 day off work). So I said:- 1) Get a taxi. Its 1/2 mile it'll be easy. Let me know if you want me to book it. Answer - Not wasting money on taxis. 2) Take y...
Let her give it a go - she may abandon it! the main thing though, as you've highlighted, is that YOU don't get to 'pick up the pieces' when she decides she's had enough, or use you to do the 'heavy lifting' part of caring! on the bright side, it might work out brilliantly! I would enjoy the 'honeym...
No surprise there then Paul! If Im honest I could see it happening but they've caused more hassle now by offering without finding out the information. Hes now convinced that "someone" needs to be his carer. How on earth can a grown adult be so thick as to offer to do something for someone without f...
Absolutely fuming with the pair of idiots who have now backed out of the whole idea. Spoke to Dad last night. They'd told him the other day they were going to do it, he was really pleased, yesterday they made some b@llshit excuse why she can't do it after all! Strangely, shortly after I pointed out ...
Paul You know your dad won't change. Surely he will have to be assessed for needs, before anything. It's reversed now though isn't it. When you are needed to take over, as your brother and GF were , you can have any reason you like that you won't be available ( true or not!) I know he is your dad a...
She can't get Carers Allowance unless he qualifies for Attendance Allowance, which clearly if he can walk half a mile with a stick, he can't. Has dad ever arranged a Power of Attorney for you, in case he gets really ill? In your situation, I'd try to keep an eye on dad's outgoings to make sure they...
A surprising update yesterday. Brother contacted me. Hes spoken to my Dad and his (soon to be) wife is going to be Dad carer. (She doesn't really have a job). Worlds stupidest idea if you ask me. Dad doesn't need a carer, he just needs to listen to what people tell him, be a little more flexible, an...
Bit of an update. I've cracked down a LOT recently. Hes been worse than ever for trying it on but I've stood firm. Pretty much every time I visit I've had a comment like "how am I going to get there", "Ive got no food in the house" etc etc. I now just present the solutions the these problems. i.e. g...