[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers UK Forum - Search
If my memory serves me correctly, there's a time limit on the use of Blue Badges as well - 3 hours? They are for the benefit of the disabled person when that person uses a car (as driver or passenger). So, if I took my dad to hospital, I'd park in a disabled bay and use his badge. If I visited him i...
bowlingbun wrote: Residential care shouldn't be seen as a carer's failure, but an acknowledgement that the caree needs more care than one person can give.
A great response to the original question, BB.
Jx
Jenny - here's a different viewpoint. My dad was a great believer in fate. He narrowly missed being killed on three occasions during WW2 when those around did not. His views made me think too. For me (and I'm not saying this applies to anyone else or every circumstance), fate had given Dad and I a c...
I agree with BB. Suggest you go for residential care near your brother, so he can pop in and say hello after work or if emergencies happen. Taking him out for days or even overnight will give him a treat and provide time together for you. As Elaine mentioned, make sure your choice is 'future proofed...
It was never going to be any easy conversation, but it had to be said. If you think that anyone's driving could cause harm to others, then you have a responsibility to do something about it. I remember having a deal with my dad that as long as the GP said he was safe to drive the I wouldn't say no. ...
I just caught the end of this programme on the costs of care homes. It included some useful advice. Well worth listening to if you are caring for others or looking towards your own potential needs. Will no doubt be on iplayer/podcast very soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06ycmdb

Jx
Welcome to the forum, Martin. I'm sure you will find it an informative and supportive environment. If you don't yet have Power of Attorney for your parents, I'd definitely recommend this as a starting point so you can deal with a number of matters at a distance. After that, check that they are recei...
Emma, I think that's an argument that could apply in many directions. For example, I don't have children but spent my working life paying taxes to support those who did. Though it doesn't always seem fair, I'm grateful we live in a society that looks after the vulnerable.
Sajehar and SheWolf, although I was there at my dad's passing, I beat myself up that I'd not listened to him a week earlier when he said he didn't feel right. I was driving him back from Dorset to Kent and pulling the car over every five minutes on the motorways and as getting very angry with him. I...
Unlike most childcare though, elder care is not time limited and things don't improve, they get worse. The end point isn't independence from the carer but greater dependence and death.