Joe,

It takes a lot of guts and compassion to be a carer. The person who said this to you appears to have neither.

Hold your head up my lovely. Your'e doing a very hard job under very difficult circumstances. We all salute & support you xxx
Apart from Mum's plethora of GPs (never see the same one twice) who failed to diagnose 6 weeks of raging delirium, have nothing but praise for the paramedics who came out etc.

Be rather nice to think there was something similar in the TV viewing pipeline one day for 'unsung heroes' Carers...?! ;)
Kirsty, My heart goes out to you completely my lovely. Both Jenny & Bowlingbun will tell you I have had (and still do to some large degree!) the same problems with my mother. She developed arthritis in her knees in 1996 not long after Dad died. I moved in with her first as companion, in 1994 then th...
Its all so confusing. My 91 yr old Mother was admitted to hospital last November with pneumonia and terrible delirium that I'd battled alone trying to cope with for 6 weeks, while she was busy trying to set the house on fire with (at that point) one of her 97 ciggies a day. My nerves were in shreds!...
Hi Mia, There's not much I can add to the already sage advise on her - as these wonderful people helped me so much last Oct/Nov dealing with a mother very like your own, who then had delirium and had also been verbally abusing me & hitting me over a time but GP picked nothing up. Mother became VERY ...
Yvonne .... I know its hard hun .....I was 31 when my Dad died & 'inherited' my Mum to care for. I am now 57. My dad died suddenly, so I'm not qualified to comment about your dad, I know. But all I can say is, a year isnt *that* long...and once he's gone, he's gone forever. Get all the help you can ...
Peter, you have my every sympathy! I'm 57, and an 'only' and have been the sole carer for my 91 year old Mum for over 20 years. She has bad arthritis in her knees, hip & spine and can't walk or even stand unaided. I had to finally give in and get care help with her in January as I couldnt do it alon...
My mother is 91 and I can honestly tell you, that she's desperately unhappy. She suffers from chronic arthritis, has had pneumonia, no dementia (as yet diagnosed). She can just about weight bear for a minute or two to swivel to a commode permanently by her side as she wont wear pants. Every night I ...
Please do set boundaries - right now. I wish I had - because your story reminds me so much of my relationship with my own 91 yr old mother. Dad died in 1992 and from word go I became his replacement. I ended up feeling like a worn down old man, not a woman in my early 30's. I am now in my late 50's....
If its any help - my mother had/has delerium that stemmed from a chest infection (pneumonia) that the GP failed to pick up for over 6 weeks. By the time I got her admitted to hospital she was swearing, hitting me and smoking 97 ciggies a day - and at 91 that was terrifying so I know a little of what...