I'm glad you seem a bit calmer - I call dementia 'the long goodbye', but it does give you an opportunity to come to terms with it, although it's so hard. I've got 'spotify' on the computer and put on all those songs Mum used to love - I've got everything from Jim Reeves to Bruce Springsteen for her ...
I've just gone through all the replies to your initial post again as I felt bothered, but couldn't tell myself why Firstly - there's no way anyone would say 'Get rid of the dog'. I have personal experience of the CQC and there is no way the would advocate this - they're always on your side, and in t...
if your uncle's prognosis is poor - he should be fast -tracked for palliative care, and shouldn't have to pay for this - what you need is a GP/SW on your side who're prepared to fight his corner. I feel you'd be better off having him live with you if it's only a short time. No one wants to die in ho...
You don't explain the background of why your Dad's with you, but it sounds like an 'end of the line' situation. To me it seems that your dad needs more care than you can provide - has he got a CPN, truly grab rails can't help if he's this bad, and you do have to think about yourself. My mum's bad bu...
This is the second time I've posted a reply! I suspect my first one disappeared into the ether as mum was having a needy day and I probably pressed the wrong button! Thank you all for your responses. I'd love to say that a family conference is possible, but def a no-no. I'm quite protective about my...
Dear Maz, your post makes me want to cry, but I'm not going to get in the ditch with you - I want to try to help you out of it! It sounds like your Mum has multi infarct dementia, a condition caused by having 'mini-strokes' which can come on quite quickly and destroys areas of the brain. what you ha...
I had a similar thing with carers falsifying records, i.e putting down wrong times; saying they'd been there longer than they had and lying about the amount of care they were giving. I had someone from the agency visit with a feedback form, this is part of CQC rules. I told it like it was and said I...
If your uncle is terminally ill, he should be eligible for palliative care, at least for a few months. I know it can be difficult - I agree with Jenny that you shouldn't be out of pocket with looking after someone. Have you contacted his GP to find out what you can both get in benefits?
I'm a nurse caring for my mum who has dementia and lots of physical problems and she is now bedbound. I've been doing this for four years now. I gave up work and moved halfway across the country to do this, supposedly to support my sister who lived nearby and was recently retired. The problem I have...