[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers UK Forum - Search
Hi Jayne, welcome to Carersuk. I joined this site in the summer and it has been an enormous help having other carers to talk to. I have been caring for my mum (age 88) for 3 and a half years now. My mum lives independently but has mobility problens caused by arthritis. I am her main carer. I have a ...
Hi Sarah and welcome. Sorry to hear about your father. It sounds to me like he has poor circulation which would make him cold. I used to suffer from 'white finger' in the cold weather and then I started eating root ginger (tiny amounts every day). You can buy root ginger in supermarkets. Within days...
Hi Wendy, I'm very sad about the change in your husband. I'm no expert about MH but the fact that he drastically changed just before Christmas makes me wonder if Christmas brought back unhappy memories from his past? Also, have some comfort from the fact that it is still relatively early days since ...
Hello and welcome to carersuk. As you know you can only claim Carers allowance for one person. But there is something you can do now that will save a lot of time and bother if your mum outlives your dad. Get mum to claim Attendance Allowance. This is NOT means tested and is for those over 65 years o...
Hi Gillian. Care homes in your area will often look after someone for a week or so. You could start by ringing round any local care homes and ask them if they will care for your mum while you're on holiday. Be prepared to pay £100+ per day. Your mum should pay for her care. Talk to your mum about th...
Hi Claire, welcome to the forum. You have had to endure a horrible situation for a long time. I can understand your concerns about leaving your mum to cope with your step-father. But it was your mum's choice to have him move in with her and her daughters. It was not your decision. It is natural for ...
Hi Hilary, lots of good ideas here for coping with someone with dementia. After reading your most recent post it sounds like you're feeling a bit better. I wonder if you are listening to him too much!! So when he calls you and shouts your name you don't have to immediately stop what you're doing to ...
Your husband would be eligible to join the 'Dial a ride' scheme. You can apply for this online or by post and does not take too long. Dial a Ride is free and your husband would be allowed to use this service twice per week. He would be allowed to take you (his carer) with him or another adult.I use ...
Dear Katie, welcome to the forum. I am so very sorry to hear about your husband's eyesight problems. I know quite a bit about eyesight problems because I have had eyesight problems since my 20's and I know what it's like. I've been a patient at Moorfields eye hospital for nearly 30 years now. Thanks...
Dear Sheila. Hello and welcom to the forum. I am very sorry to hear about your husband's illness and I have enormous sympathy for you. I am a similar age to you (mid 50's) and I have a son too. Please go easy on your son. He is still young and hasn't got the life time experiences that you have. I'm ...