[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers UK Forum - Search
You did exactly the right thing, Yasmine. Now that she is being looked after in hospital, it would be an excellent time for you to visit some nursing homes. You will then know what is available in your area if you need one.

Thinking of you, a very difficult time for you x
Hi Yasmine, Yes frequently a UTI does affect mobility. However, in my mum's case, she eventually was unable to walk. As the dementia gets worse, the brain no longer sends a signal to the legs to work. This may not be the case for you but it is a possibility, unfortunately. As for how you cope, the s...
Hi Gary, I have been in similar shoes with a mother with dementia, which only helped to exaggerate the stubbornness. I failed to get her to go to a daycare centre, I managed respite when desperate by putting her in a taxi and telling her we were going shopping. I then cried all the way to the airpor...
Kerry, you sound exhausted which is hardly surprising. Like you, when caring for my mum, it was only my job and this Forum which kept me sane. Do you have the same GP as mum? If not, you will need to contact both. Contact your GP and explain the situation, stress that you can no longer cope and need...
Tina, Welcome to the Forum. To be honest, it sounds as if you are pretty aware of what is going on and what you need. Counselling will be expensive but, I think, hugely beneficial. Not least because many stage 4 diagnosed cancer patients now live a long life.Many links to finding a decent counsellor...
Markyboy, No, there are no easy solutions. I would book a GP appointment for mum, not of course because she needs a dementia assessment ;) but maybe an elderly persons check-up. I phoned my mum's GP and asked him to see her on this pretext as mum would have refused. The advantage to a diagnosis is t...
It is so sad, Lauren, I went through similar episodes with my mum. Try to enjoy the good times with her because there will be good times in amidst all the heartache. If nan asks about going home, it might be worth asking her what she likes best about her home, or what she remembers doing there. When...
Hi Julie, Sorry to hear about your mum. In my own case I contacted the council refuse department and they flagged that my mum was vulnerable and they would come into the front garden to remove the bins. Also the carers fed my mum's cat. I need to be present originally to show how much and what to fe...
Hi Liz, And welcome to the Forum. I found myself in a similar situation with my mum and eventually found that she required more care than I was physically and mentally able to give. If your husband were to be in a nursing home, you would be able to visit and do the nice things for him, while paid ca...
Hi Amanda, and welcome to the Forum, I am so sorry to hear about your partner. It must be a dreadful time for you. I wonder whether it is worth going to your GP and see if he can give you something to get you through this difficult period. It is the old adage about putting your lifejacket on before ...