Thankyou so much for the continuing encouragement. It is quite a lonely place to be when all my friends' parents have passed away already - sometimes I feel they're thinking "what does she have to moan about? I'd give anything to still have mum/dad with me", and I know I'll feel that way when mum is...
I haven't posted for some time though I keep reading the forum. So, an update on mum. She has been in the care home for two months. The staff are lovely and think she's a sweetie as she is so polite. I visit most days and chat to them and know several of them by name. They keep mum beautifully clean...
I've visited quite a few homes in the area and taken mum to one or two. She's been accepted by one that seems to tick all the boxes: a mile to my house, does nursing care if needed, run by a social housing group so probably won't go bust, and mum liked the room she saw. BUT....mum is muddled about t...
I'm happy to take her out for tea, Jenny, but she really struggles with the steps into my little house and up to the loo. She was almost on hands and knees at Christmas and I suggested my sons make a chairlift of their arms to get her out. :shock: I'm really trying hard now to look objectively at wh...
Thankyou bowlingbun for the words of encouragement. You're right - I must keep reminding myself that mum's needs can only increase. She's certainly in denial about them increasing. Mrs A thankyou for such a detailed reply. Your mum sounds like a lovely positive person with a very practical outlook. ...
Four and a half years ago mum decided she wanted to live near me. She refused to go into a care home and opted instead for a sheltered flat. I didn't really have a say in it, she just assumed I would step up because that's what the daughter did. She was too frightened of falling to leave the buildin...
O good grief, Jackie, you must be beside yourself. It may be no consolation but....it is May and sleeping rough will not be the hardship it might be in January. Rough sleepers (my son can attest to this) do look out for one another, and there are charities and shelters all over London (maybe contact...
Hi Jackie What a horribly worrying time for you. I have experienced this several times with my son. When I'm in this situation I ring the police on 101 and report my son as a 'vulnerable adult'. They take a description and ask about any places he might be staying, and his mobile number. Their cars w...
Hi Jane

A good post! It rings very true for me, as even though my mum does not have dementia I can so identify with doing everything double, and feeling worried and anxious about her all the time.
Hi Michele and welcome

My son suffers from psychosis and has been in hospital many times over the years. He's currently living half the week with me and half the week in his council flat.

How old is your son? Has been offered any medication or therapy?