That night time/morning dread is the worst part. You sound like you are doing everything right though. And don't feel bad/guilty about pestering the MHT - it is after all their job. Have you looked into whether there is any local support for you? Here we have a MH carers support group that meets onc...
Hey Christine I am a mum to a 20 year old schizophrenic, so not quite the same, but I think I do have a bit of insight. Daily living with someone who needs you but can also be horrible to you is really draining. What support does your daughter get? And have you looked into any support you can get? i...
Hi Hannah I am a t-shirt wearing member of "survived the mental health crisis" carer brigade, and have all the associated bells and whistles too. I hear your struggle and feel your pain - it is sometimes not appreciated how hard it is to be a carer in this situation, so I am all ears if you need to ...
It is absolute rubbish that there is no ongoing support any more. There are teams of psychiatric community nurses in every area, whose job it is to support people with long term issues (although the patient has to agree to this, which sometimes causes a problem). Get on the phone to your local menta...
Hi Sunny It is so normal to only see how bad things are once you have stepped away for a little while. I also think that you are right in that the only way he is ever going to change his behaviour is if he chooses to. However, you are in control of yourself and your destiny, so maybe now is the time...
Hi Nellie I resonate with your feeling so much. I feel totally overwhelmed with my current caring situation. I have 3 kids, 1 with schizophrenia (he is in supported accommodation, but still relies heavily on us out of hours) and 2 with a severe form of arthritis that at times affects their mobility....
Hey Evie First up, let me say well done for being so brave and open. It takes courage and strength to be honest and is also the first step towards change. I would say that what you really need to do now is focus on yourself and your son. As much as you feel responsible to your mum, you now have a bi...
Oh Ann - how difficult it must be to try and care for someone who doesn't want to be cared for. Do you work, or have any other way of getting out and about?
Welcome Tiasmum

As Melly said, we are not just about giving advice - we understand that caring can sometimes get a bit lonely, and I find the site great for a bit of companionship and support too.

Any problems finding your way around, just ask.
It is so sad. 4, or was it 5 years ago now?, I felt I had no choice but to give up work due to trying to support 2 disabled children. Then last year, having struggled financially so badly that it pushed me to the edge, I chose to go back to work. On the positive side, it did help ease the money worr...