That sounds like an interesting job, BB. I don’t blame your hubby for not taking a job there if the pay was so bad. I have visited the area twice. My husband was attending a BMA conference in Bournemouth on both occasions and the BMA very kindly organise trips for ‘Acompanying Persons’ at these even...
We have our Christmas tree in place but not decorated as yet. David was hoping our three offspring here would do the deed, but so far they’ve only succeded in getting the decorations down from the roof space and untangling the lights. BB, I might have been past your house, en route to Beaulieu House...
Hi Huegatort, Don’t feel annoyed with yourself that you didn’t realize that your son had Asperger Syndrome. As Mrs Average has pointed out, an Asperger Syndrome was a rare diagnosis when your son was a child. My daughter is the same age as your son and the condition was unheard of when she was growi...
Melly, that’s great that S is interested in so many sports. I know many Special Olympics athletes find it difficult to cope with competitions with other clubs, but just being involved on a weekly basis in something that is both physical and social is good in itself. Over here Special Olympics clubs ...
Thanks for all your replies. I agree, there should be more media coverage of these events. The basketball club will be doing everything possible to raise awareness of the people in their midst who will be taking part in this major event and also raise funds.

Melly, what is S’s sport?

Gilli
My son has been selected to represent the Ulster basketball team at the Special Olympics Ireland Games in Dublin next June. We’re very proud of him and the other members from his club who were selected. The social worker who suggested my son join the local Special Olympics Basketball club did us a b...
Hi Mrs A, It would be difficult to find another job for M. Interestingly, his boss and his wife, who live a few doors down from us - the shop is next door to us - have M most Thursday evenings for dinner and occasionally the boss will take M to the cinema. That arrangement would probably come to an ...
Firstly, could one of the powers that be here move this thread to the Autism/Asperger Syndrome forum? Secondly, welcome to the forum, Danielle. I am sorry to read that you have not had any support from mental health services in your area. Has your fiancé had any support with education or employment?...
Hi Colin and Bowling Bun, Sorry for not replying sooner. There is probably some truth in what you suggest, Colin. M is thorough in his work, but the other workers and his employer are more interested in getting the work done speedily. When he tries to work faster, he becomes flustered and then he ca...
The support worker was able to meet with the employer's wife, who is quite involved in the business. She said that M's productivity had dropped since he first started and the support worker has told M that he needs to try and go a bit faster and not let himself get distracted. She did say to me that...