[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers UK Forum - Search
One the chancellor snuk through under the radar, about page 50 of the Comprehensive Spending Review document - Mobility component for higher rate DLA people living in residential care will be scrapped. Lots of disabled people living independently with support (especially with learning disabilities a...
<t>Long time ago I was a catholic. It wasn't sons disability that turned me off it, but it didn't help. Though I have to say, many (not all) of the best and most human professional carers we've had have had strong religious beliefs. The catholic ones make me proud to have come from that background -...
<t>Kids staring I don't mind. The younger ones are often just curious, so we often just talk to them - explaining that the suction machine is just a medical vacuum cleaner works. They tend to take it in their stride and go on to something else. the older ones are more difficult. Adults are just impo...
<t>My own experience, albeit from the side, would bear this out. We had agency nurses at home earlier this year when son was especially ill. A number of them said they weren't comfortable doing his care. What they were used to was sitting in the care home office organising and signing off the medica...
Sorry to hear about your loss. Thinking of you.
<t>In the area where we live, Social Services have been operating a call centre for some time - the HUB. Not only does this mean carers have to go through it to contact anyone, people with learning disabilities, who may find phone calls difficult anyway, have to use it. Needless to say, it's proved ...
We avoid hospital admission at all costs. as they are geared up for ordinary people who are ill, not disabled people. The hoists/slings for lifting are not appropriate or compatible, it's impossible to get medications given at times needed and there are far too few staff to provide even a minimal le...
My son is undiagnosed, as are about a third of neurological conditions. Complex care needs, multiple physical and learning disabilities. You might like to follow my blog at http://nedluddcarer.blogspot.com/ to get a feel for the sort of issues involved.
<t>Credit where credit is due. I'm not into football but my son went to the local special needs school in Blackburn and Rovers, including Hendry, were regular visitors and the kids absolutely loved it. i remeber Schearer and others playing in the house teams - I think Hendry among them, picking up t...
<t>many Local Authorities are also closing residential care, particularly for people with learning disabilities. Unfortunately this throws the baby out with the bathwater. My own son is a one person nursing home in a four person residential care home (when not with us). It's unusual and is very pers...