Actually, jessie, your first piece of advice is the correct one. No-one has the absolute right to drive and she dosnt have the right to make the decision whether she is OK to drive or not - its the DVLA that makes that decision. You can report someone who you think should not be driving (there is a...
I read with interest Steve's mention of problems with social services. I list below my problems with them in the 11 years since my mother was diagnosed and went into care. My mother has severe dementia and paranoia. Officially diagnosed in may 2003 and sectioned in the July 2003. . Have you ever co...
Hello fellow carers. Advice please. Mum, 82, not very motivated to do much outside the house, prone to depression. Likes tv and lying in bed!! Getting over hip fracture in November and doing ok round the house with a stick. She keeps hinting that she wants to get back into her car and drive, but I'...
<t>Elderly folk can appear to be selfish but I think we have to consider whether this is because:<br/> <br/> - they have lost the ability to control their own lives (which makes them feel scared)<br/> - they are ashamed at their loss of ability<br/> - were they always demanding & selfish<br/> <b...
Gosh Jessie, thanks for sharing that. That's really a very moving story, and I suppose, like none of us know what goes on behind other people's front doors, neither do we know what goes on in other people's heads. Seeing it as a complete outsider, what you've told us strikes me as her seeing you in...
You could/should contact the DVLA outlining your concerns. They in turn have a duty to contact her GP & ask for his/her assessment, diagnosis etc.

This takes the decision out of your hands.
I was roaming around the Internet searching, rather loosely, on the general theme of 'how to deal with anger at having to care for someone you don't want to care for' (!) (yup, that's Jenny all right, as all you all know from my continual harping on it (and harping, and harping...)....when I came a...
Jessie, that's a very difficult situation to have had to deal with. In a way, I can well see how you would want to prove to yourself (even if not to your mum) that you were NOT like her, ie, you did NOT renage on what you considered to be your responsibilities, and in a way, one could say that by i...
"Think twice and make the best decision for your family, they are worth sacrificing for." Is that always true? It's true lots of times, hopefully the majority of times, but simply from reading some (the minority, luckily) of the posts here it's clear (to me at any rate!) that some elderly relatives...
See you GP...if h*ll give you Lorazepam instead I think it will help.