Hi Jaqueline You are unlikely to find the dream living companion, just think of it as the least worst option and find a way to make it work - until the magic 60 when you can heave a sigh of relief. You need to stay focused on the big equation- One year of annoyance and or inconvenience equals a hous...
Hi Robert and welcome Living with someone who has advanced dementia can frustrate even the calmest of people- speaking from experience! If your mother is elderly herself she may be losing a little of her own reasoning as well. Two bits of advice for a quick starter- have you registered on the Alzhei...
Hi Jaqueline
Yes I am sur e they would but holding on to that magic 60 figure, an extra few thousand a year from a lodger would help nudge you a bit closer to 60 .
Not wanting to hijack the thread but,
Often, when you go through things methodically, a front runner emerges very easily, especially when you are clear in your head what you want.
Never works for me :?
If the lodger option is at all viable you can get an income of £7,500 per year with no tax on it so this is additional income to other earnings and much more in your control.
Hi Jaqueline Sorry I don't know the answer to that one but I think if you are self funding and can sustain being self funding based on rental income it shouldn't be a problem. I am really replying just to see if you have considered lodgers? If you have a house perhaps a bit too big, is that a viable...
Hi Jaqueline I remember the nearly 60 part of your thread but I can't remember the health conditions of your mum that you are caring for, I think they were fairly extensive? I am wondering if you should read up on what a POA can and can't do in terms of selling the house. Can you prove it is for you...
Hi Butterfly, I understand your urge to withold payment but unfortunately paying care bills and receiving CHC funding are really separate issues. It's a bit like not paying the paperboy because milk hasn't been delivered. It probably isn't doing you any favours with the autrhorities. I've heard from...
I am guessing if there is a substantial property involved that parents savings may exceed £26k in a bank and if so I believe SS can be told to mind their own business. They can only ask for a financial assessment when savings get near or are expected to soon get near this limit. For peace of mind an...
Hi Ron I am wondering if the main reason behind all this is that Social Services are worried they will have to pick up all the funding once all the money from the house has been spent on care home fees. If you had gone through the financial assessment route with social services they would probably h...