I'm not, for a moment, excusing thefts - but we do have to bear in mind that care-workers are paid very poorly, and it could be that they think 'oh, easy for the family - they've got loads of stuff compared with me'..... As BB says, though, it's the personal items that are most precious, the sentime...
Glad it raised a smile! :) The trick now is not to let him push your buttons, and to 'float' across it, as best you can. He's looking for reassurance (because it's probably pretty scary being 90, when you think about it - the hour glass is definitely emptying by then!), and I would say your role now...
Remember, only HER money has to be used to pay care/nursing home fees, including her share of the house/flat. NOT YOURS. Not a single one of us has ANY 'legal duty of care' towards ANYONE else (except maybe our children under 18!), and sometimes we have to remind SS and councils of that! They may li...
Wow, that is wonderful! I know that treating MH with pills is sometimes frowned upon as a 'panacea' but sometimes we DO just need those pills to be stepping stones over a drowning river... You must be very relieved, and so is he. The talking therapy hopefully will continue the good work. Cheers! (An...
Hi and welcome. How come your mum/dad isn't looking after your grandmother? How did you end up doing so? At 22, your life is beginning? Have you been to college? Been working at all? How much time to you spend with, and on, your gran? Of all her conditions, the MH one is probably the most difficult ...
I would develop answering 'ritualised' things to say....eg Him: I'm not myself lately You: Oh dear, well, maybe you'll pick up again in a day or two. Him: I can't give into this, I must get better. You. That's the spirit, Dad! I'm sure you'll see it through. Him: This is all very sudden. I wonder it...
I agree. Being pain free is the absolute imperative....and as easy a journey towards the end as palliative medicine can achieve. Would she, or you, really want to put her through the ordeal of an operation? At 95 she has had a wonderfully long life. I would strongly urge a 'gentle passing', both pai...
Sadly, I have to agree with Mrs A and BB. Dementia is a terminal condition - if nothing else (eg, fatal stroke, heart attack, pneumonia) doesn't get her, then the dementia will progress until it has killed her conscious mind, and eventually it turns off the circulation and respiratory system. That i...
Kate - have I read this correctly? Are you saying your son passed away last year? My dear, if that is so, then please accept my profound condolences. This is an unspeakable tragedy. I'm going to be blunt - your husband sounds like he targeted you, subjected you to a 'whirlwind romance' and married y...
Stepping back sounds exactly the right thing to do. We are all responsible for our own happiness, and if we can't appreciate the good things we've got, we don't deserve them. If she wants to sulk like a toddler, let her. Her problem. Not yours. How about planning some nice treats with your mum? She ...