Hi Carole, It’s not just the days, where you might be able to organise plenty of help from nurses and carers – note I say might! It’s the nights! In the Home Mum has a team of people who are on that particular shift and on call. Could you manage constantly getting out of bed to either check on her o...
Hi Dave. Both my parents wore hearing aids. My Dad for many years and my Mum for the last few years of her life. Both were fully accepting of the necessity so in that respect I can’t help. I have a friend who wears an aid. It is so discreet I forget that she has it unless she happens to mention it. ...
My apologies Freetoleave
Replied to the wrong name. Apologies to 'Karma' too. Didn't look carefully enough at the original poster's name.
I shall 'smack my own wrist'!
KR
Hi there, Welcome and so sorry about the problems with Dad. My suggestions are Label drawers and cupboards, ‘Knives and forks’, ‘pants and socks’, ‘shirts and trousers’, ‘tins of food’. Make a ‘memory book’ of photos from the past and recent of family members. ‘This is your grandson John. He is 21 a...
Hi Karma Worst scenario. The Canadian in laws have an ‘agenda’ and are planning to leave MIL with you ‘forever’ because of costs in Canada or family unwilling to take on the future care needed. Best scenario. They really mean only a few months so MIL can see your husband as the end of her life appro...
Dear Lynne, That’s all so hard and you have already done so much. Pulled in so many directions and exhausted both physically and emotionally. Please bear in mind that we do not know you and whatever we say we are trying to help and offer advice knowing only the bare bones of your situation. I cared ...
Hello Jamie, I’m sticking my nose in here, am not in your situation, and probably won’t be much help. That’s a good start eh? The message I want to give you is that it seems to me that you are looking at this from the wrong angle. You are thinking how to juggle your new marriage, your job (which isn...
Hello Alison, I'm not going to be any help to you apart from giving you a virtual hug. ((())). I am in awe of how much you have fought for your Mum and how alert you are to small changes which tell you something is wrong. I don't know how to fight the battle you face. I will not tell you to hand you...
Hi Carl and welcome, I’m going to add a couple of suggestions which may be helpful. Your FIL may have cancelled his SS assessment but that doesn’t mean that your wife cannot have a Carer’s assessment. Or even an assessment in her own right. The former will alert SS to the elderly couple and your wif...
Hi Nigel. Please go onto the .gov website and look up Power of Attorney. Are you aware that you can fill in all the forms online, print them off and then get them signed by the attorneys, (you and your sister?) your father and an independent witness who will swear that Dad understands. Then the pape...