I did finally manage to find employment, a temporary part time stockroom job. Which believe me is ideal at this stage, caring for someone over their terminal years takes everything you have and I've come to realise that this takes time to recover from. I also manage to volunteer for AgeUK, although ...
I can understand why somebody might do that, after all caring is utterly exhausting and its not like they give us much time to recover from it. I will keep professional care as an option in case other avenues do not work out. I have a month to find something in the retail sector, failing that its be...
Seven hundred thousand people, that's a heartbreaking number. Having just finished a decade long cycle of decline, from diagnosis to death, I shudder to think of the suffering involved.

David.
@Jenny My Jobcentre advisor told me that he had one client who was trying to make the transition from carer to professional care worker. Apparently, whenever he goes to an interview they make a big deal about him having no experience! They're probably worried he might blow the whistle on bad practic...
Up until recently I had been a full time carer all my adult life, this past decade for my father who had late stage vascular dementia. I now I find myself trying to find work with a yawning chasm on my CV. Even though I have an OU degree and an OU Diploma in Computing, both are now 18 years old, and...
Some good news, New Charter have relented and told my sister that they are giving us 28 days even if the Housing Benefit stops. If any rent bills appear then I should return them unpaid. I still have to clear the place down to the last piece of underlay and curtain rail but non the less this makes t...
Apparently I can have 28 days but I have to pay the rent out of my own pocket, which given that I'm on Carers Allowance and that the funeral is going to cost nigh on £2000, I simply can't afford. Hek the counter started the day after he died. Also given that they insist on changing keys on a Sunday ...
Thank you all for the kind words. I realise that it was best for Albert to slip away peacefully in the night; it still hurts mind, but then emotions aren't logical things. Unfortunately I now have to dive into clearing my fathers bungalow out (right down to ripping out the carpets) without any delay...
An update. My father was given fluids and his kidney function returned to 93% and he was happily eating for two days before aspirating on Friday night / Saturday morning. He seemed to get over the worst of it and was starting to look his old self again when he passed away in his sleep at around 6:30...
My father was taken into hospital last night having returned from respite dehydrated and taking little fluid or food. He is now on the Medical Assessment Ward and his bloods show kidney failure. The doctors have told me that it is possible for this to be reversed if dehydration is the cause but I'm ...