Again, to be perfectly honest, I'm not so worried about whether my mother's meals are "nutritious" (she's managed to reach her mid 90s on a diet typical for her generation) - I would just like them to look and taste appetising! To give the care home its due, they do keep her supplied with fresh frui...
My mother's care home used to make a big deal of their "nutritious, home-cooked meals". TBH, most of the cooked meals left a lot to be desired (mince just cooked in water, "roast" potatoes still cold and hard in the middle etc.). Despite raising the matter many times, nothing seemed to improve. Now ...
UPDATE: Just thought I would let you know that I did, in fact, phone the CQC last week and had several quite long conversations with their call handler and subsequently an inspector. I still don't believe that the recent inspection covered satisfactorily the issue I had raised, but the CQC were very...
Oops - hit "send" twice!
You also need to be aware that there is a considerable difference between what a residential home can charge a self-funder and what it will be paid by the local authority - for exactly the same room! It's now generally accepted that self-funders pay a premium of around 30% which is used by the care ...
Following on from my recent post regarding the Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman, I had an unexplained "compulsion" (!) to double-check the CQC rating of my mother's care home. Going on to their website, I was surprised to find that they had conducted a new inspection at the beginning of the ...
It's a commercial care-provider that we have a complaint against - I'm tenacious (and I have the time), so will probably go for it!
Thanks, Chris and MrsA, for your responses. I have spent a lengthy time going through the LGO website and believe that this is the place where we should pursue our complaint - not looking for any financial compensation (although it would be nice to hit the company "where it hurts" most!) but would r...
Just wondering if anyone has lodged a complaint through the Local Government & Social Services Ombudsman - and was the outcome worth the time and trouble?

Pennie
That's a great tip - thank you!

I have to use the rear entrance door at my mother's care home as I can't push her in her wheelchair up the very long ramp to the front door. They've recently replaced it with a very heavy plate glass door that I can barely hold open whilst manoeuvring mum through.