Sajehar -- the 'Magic Eye' pictures were popular in about the 1980s, I think, and there were lots of books of them available. I loved them. You can still find plenty of them online: simply google 'magic eye' under 'images'. Viewing them is a knack, but it is worth remembering that there are two diff...
Bowlingbun -- Viewmaster 3-D viewers! http://curiosando708090.altervista.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/view-master1.jpg They were around from the late 1930s, and remained popular into the 1950s. And of course other stereo images and viewers existed long before that, from the late 19th century. If o...
Hello, Jennifer. One form of dementia, known as Lewy Body Dementia, is closely related to Parkinson's Disease: I believe that 'Lewy bodies' are present in both. They are protein plaques in the brain that interfere with the transmission of information, the connections in the brain. My husband suffere...
SheWolf: I have not been visiting the forum very often since my husband died in August, but I have logged in today, and have read through this thread and wanted to send you my good wishes. I can identify so closely with that conflict between wanting someone to 'recover' (to get back to everyday dete...
jenny lucas wrote:Tristesa - nice to see you here. How are you doing? These 'early days' are not easy....not easy at all.

Kind regards, Jenny
Thank you, Jenny. No, they are not. Two months now. :-(

Tristesa
Thank you for the replies. It always helps to know that one's feelings have been shared by others in a similar situation.
:)
Tristesa
Reading the comments from Sajehar and others about mini-portions really strikes a chord with me. While my mother did not have any of the problems that so many of us here are only too painfully aware of (she lived to be nearly 96, completely healthy physically and mentally, apart from failing eyesigh...
I am posting this because this forum is often the only place where I feel that people really understand what I am trying to say. I have been a widow now for two months. Early in November, it will be the first anniversary of the date when my husband moved out of our house to live in the care home whe...
Shewolf, I was not implying that you were judging your father in any righteous way. I have never had to live with an alcoholic, thank heaven, and I can imagine it is utterly vile. I think the approach you are taking now is balanced and sensible; firm but compassionate.

Tristesa
Coming back a bit late to this. Susieq, I hadn't realised that hip or knee surgery can be done without general anaesthetic, so I have learned something new. Nevertheless, I think there is general agreement here that even the post-surgery problems would be too much for your father, Shewolf, in his pr...