Two carers arrived last night for the teatime call. We had not met them before. English was not their native language. I don't care at all where someone is from but I DO care that they know what proper care actually is. I was sitting downstairs chatting with my wife at the time. I/we will usually ch...
To complete the circle... We are in the process of making our Wills, assigning Power of Attorney and a Discretionary Trust. If I die first my half of the property and all my assets go into a Discretionary Trust. Our daughters are the Trustees. That way half the house does not belong to my wife to it...
My wife has 6 calls a day. It used to be 4 but pressure sores....

The first is about 7am, then 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm and 10pm.

The call times vary slightly depending on their other calls but that's what the agency agreed to provide.
Thank you all for your advice - it is very much appreciated. I do not have a will. I will start the process to get one on Tuesday. Having talked with my wife I will ask my sister-in-law to be executor. I will explore guardianship / advocate. I will also explore how to assign part ownership of the ho...
My wife has Secondary Progressive MS. She can move her head slightly, her right arm slightly and her right thumb. Nothing else works. We have carers for personal care/repositioning several times a day but outside of that I do everything needed. We have a mortgage. I work full time from home. It stru...
Well..... the OT visited and it turns out that some advice my wife had been given was wrong. The OT took measurements and with some furniture moving we can fit a hospital bed and hoist downstairs. The OT has to organise a care package which will take a few weeks but because she can now come back her...
Thank you! I had no idea that we had a say in where she might be placed. I have bookmarked the CQC site and will go through that again tomorrow. The OT has apparently said that the care will be free but I - and my wife - will be checking on this at every step so we aren't suddenly hit with the unexp...
The hospital OT has said that while they will be doing a home visit that they expect her to be discharged to a nursing home. She hasn't stood up since she was admitted, needs a hoist to get from bed to chair, self-care is extremely difficult. Even she says that she could not be cared for now at home...
At the moment we are waiting to see what the hospital OT says/does/refers. I have told the MS Nurses (well, left an answerphone message), and just called Social Services to tell them. We do not have any insurance policies that could help. When my wife was diagnosed in 2000 and then could not work we...
She had a fall last night and has broken her hip. So she's in hospital, will be having an operation to fix it. According to the admitting nurse she will be referred for all possible help from them. Not a way we had thought of but it's happened and now finally we might actually get some decent support.