Hi again Eun, So pleased that your son leads a full life. I hope my son manages to find things that he likes to do in the future. It's a worry. He has always used a bottle, by the way, and I don't think he'd be happy using anything else. In any case, he would still need to be repositioned in his cha...
Eun, I'm glad your son was successful at university. That's wonderful. My son does need a hoist because he uses a bottle and he slips down his chair whenever he uses it. The carers aren't allowed to lift him back into position. Also, he sometimes has an accident, sadly, so he needs to be changed. Wh...
Thanks Crocus, that is an idea, although I think he might miss the social side of going to an adult eduction centre. Bowlingbun, I've hear the word "transition" mentioned by various social workers, but they've never really suggested anything for my son. Everything seems to be fine until they hit the...
I'm feeling a bit down today, so I thought I would ask for some advice. My son, who is 23, is looking for things to do in the next stage of his life eg. after college. There doesn't seem to be much out there, but I don't want to depress him by telling him that. He'd like to learn to read, but the lo...
Thank you, Gavin.
I've just seen your reply and I've looked at the link. It's very helpful.
I think I'll go back to the Social Services and query the amount they are giving my son for his direct payments.
Scally, thanks for the link. I don't think I would like to do it myself though. I would worry about finding staff at short notice when one of them is sick etc. That's interesting that your LA pays £15, Bowling. I wonder what other boroughs pay. My son has two carers, by the way. He's on the substant...
Thanks for your reply. The social services do breakdown the costs for me, but they only allow £12 per hour for care (he has complex needs) whereas the agency charges £15 per hour. If I gave up direct payments and asked the Local Authority to control my son's care, they would be using the same agency...
Does anyone else find that their direct payments do not cover the cost of agency staff? I use the agency that is used in-house by my local authority, so I am surprised that my son does not get enough money to cover their hourly rate. If the local authority was directing his care, they would have to ...
Thank you everyone for the helpful replies.

This is such a great place to get advice and to share problems!
I don't feel so alone now.
My son and daughter (teenager, and early twenties) get direct payments. It's working well, so no worries at the moment. I'm worried about their future though. When I first applied for direct payments, the Social Worker said that they don't pay for 24 hour care. Well that was okay, because I am here,...