<t>It's complicated, Chris. My husband has pressure sores and has been treated by district nurses for almost a year. Dressings are not always a good idea, because removing them tears the skin. Ideally the nurses recommend they should stay on for a week, but as the dressings are on his sacrum they ca...
<t>Hello Liz - I'm glad somebody has replied to my original post. Yes, it's horrible to think that we might have been able to prevent this if we could have stopped them smoking, but it's not so easy, is it? I can't even persuade our son to stop, and he's seen at first hand what it can do. Our daught...
<t>Welcome Cazz!<br/> <br/> I'm in a similar situation, caring for my husband who has heart disease and COPD (emphysema) while myself recovering from three operations over the past year. It's not easy looking after yourself as well as your husband in these circumstances and my only advice (which I d...
<t>Ah - a different situation with different needs, basically. My husband can pass urine normally, he just can't get up to go to the toilet, so what we use are rigid plastic 'mini-urinals' (you see them advertised sometimes for long car journeys, etc.) It may come to a catheter eventually, in which ...
To be honest I've never encountered disposables (although we've only been in this situation a few months). Do you get them on the national health? Isn't there a huge impact on the environment or, to be less noble, doesn't your bin fill up quickly? or do they collapse after use? I'm intrigued.
<t>Believe me I do understand and recognise the problem - it's maybe easier with my husband as I can persuade him that he's undergoing the washing, denture cleaning etc for my benefit. Left to himself he wouldn't bother even if he had the strength. I too hate the idea that anybody might be judging t...
<t>Do you have health visitors / district nurses in Australia? They are visiting us twice a week to change dressings on my husband's pressure sore. Won't help if you don't, but just a thought. Lack of interest in personal hygiene, skincare etc seems quite normal - my dad (died at 89) would only ever...
<t>All Meg's tips are good, but you could try asking his GP to review his medication - my husband had awful sores, bruises and flaky patches, all much better since the Salbutemol inhaler was replaced. I think steroids can be a problem. Good luck with this as getting meds right can be a long process ...
<t>Hello - good tip about the trousers. I used to iron most things but had an operation 6 months ago and for several weeks I couldn't stand long enough to iron properly. Then I realised that nobody would have noticed, that I wasn't going to buy linen or cotton shirts with ruffles, and my husband wit...
<t>I've just found that Steradent (or Superdrug equivalent) dissolved in my husband's urine bottle has worked on a slightly murky area that hadn't been improved by a bleach solution and was beyond the reach of a brush. I wonder what else (apart, obviously, from his false teeth) these tablets will cl...