As a volunteer, I talk to groups, individuals and organisations about all matters regardng the challenges of being a carer. What I am finding is that there is a growing despondency and weariness amongst people who are unpaid Carers. The growing demands on Carers as social care services are reduced o...
Today we went through a 3 hour meeting to assess Ros for NHS Continued funding. This was instigated by Social Services. I had read the forms and said that it would not apply. But they went ahead with the assessment. As predicted the decision was Ros' codition did not qualify. So 6 man hours of NHS a...
I took Ros to Newcastle for 2 weeks to see her family. Ros stays in a local Nursing Home. Anyway on arrival I handed over Ros'.DNAR. I was told that they could not accept the DNAR for 2 reasons. 1. It was out of date, they said it had to be renewed annually, which was news to me. 2. They said the fo...
About a year ago my Wife who I care for went into hospital because of an infection which became Sepsis. On her return home, the ambulance crew handed me a Do Not Attempt Resusitation form, which Ros had signed. It was the first I knew. I asked Ros why she had signed it. She as a former nurse she did...
Comet walk2018.pdf[/attachment]
I organised the Carers Relay walk in Stevenage and we got an article in the local paper
Is anyone else being told that Social Services want to do an assessment for NHS continuing health care funding? It appears that Hertfordshire ACS is looking to manage/protect their budget but moving people to NHS funding. I am told that there is no guarantee that if the NHS accept they have to fund ...
Going through a period of change in terms of my wife's care. Seems to be a constant flow of professionals from health and social care. The one constant output from all parties is another task for me to do. I only refused one and that was would I do the colonic washout. Looking after Ros is really no...
Today 3 unpaid Carers are attending the Hertfordshire Adult Care Panel. The Panel are deciding on whether to increase care charges by £6m and reduce care spending by £11m for 2018/19. There are further £30m in cuts to cone before 2021. We are going there to see how the Councillors are going justify ...
To all my fellow Carers and Volunteers, I wish you all a Happy New Year. This is a year when we must make our voices heard. So good luck with any campaigning and I hope we are feel that by the end of 2018, we will feel that the powers really improve support and the lives of Carers.
As a Carers UK volunteer, and with other Carers, we are working with Jodie Deards Carers Lead and other healthcare professionals on improving support for Carers. We are dealing with the issues that can make the engagement with the hospital a challenge. Carer Awareness, Carer involvement, helping peo...