Hi Jane Is there a will and are you named as executor? Or is the estate very straightforward? My mum died two years ago and I went through the whole process fairly easily. My brother and I were executors. but we decided it would be easier if I did it myself and we listed him as Power reserved. Tryin...
Hi Antony I don't really have any expertise in this area, but I'm online at the moment. You can't be expected to sacrifice you own life because of the care needs of your brother. You are not legally required to take on the role of carer. Why do you feel this is something you will be doing - is it be...
Hi Katrina I've not been reading the forums very long myself and don't have the length of experience of some people here, but I ended up with a similar situation a couple of years ago with my dad who was suddenly widowed and had that 'switch' that meant he suddenly wasn't able to cope on his own. Hi...
Hi I've just seen this thread. I know someone who worked as an Energy Champion for CAB. His opinion was wait for SMETS2 - with which you can change energy company easily (there are issues with first generation ones stopping sending data to your energy company if you move). I think one reason for rep...
For some reason my account stopped working last year and locked me out, but it appears to be working again now. Leaving my dad in his home just wasn't an option. It's a word I've seen on here - acopia. He'd let things deteriorate to such an extent that it was dangerous and it needed so much work don...
Hi Caroline I can't offer much support other than saying I hear you! My situation is somewhat similar to yours. My dad is 83 in a couple of months and my mum died two years ago (although they lived separately they still saw each other regularly). Like your dad, mine found himself without any friends...
I know I've got it easy really... My mum died suddenly last year. She had been very assertive and independent prior to her death and lived alone very much in the way she wanted to. She and my dad had been separated for many years but were still on amicable terms and she tolerated regular visits from...