Hi, bowling bun may have a point. A while back my mum had to have a financial assessment. I thought it was a waste of time as she had over the magic £23000 in savings. The young man who did the assessment contacted me afterwords and referred me to the benefits department and she was awarded higher l...
Hi, I've just been informed today that Mum has been awarded Fast Tracked CHC due to her rapidly deteriorating health. Will this affect her existing benefits such as DLA and mobility allowance? She was self funding in a local care home and they are happy to continue the care. I just want to be forewa...
Thanks for the support guys, sorry I have not replied, I haven't been online for a couple of days. Yesterday I had a lovely day out at the caravan show, and went out for dinner with my son and daughter in law and got home a little squiffy. Thats the first time I've had a full day out in years withou...
Hi, I don't know what I would have done without this Forum recently. Mum went into a care home at the beginning of September after a stroke took away her mobility. Since then I have managed to have a holiday in the sun, the first in 5 years. I am beginning to realise that caring over the last 5 year...
A short holiday could be possible, that’s an idea. Shopping and home for lunch should be possible also. I am hoping to sell her bungalow to help with fees but there is no rush yet. I just can’t manage her at home any more, it’s not safe
Unfortunately I cannot have her at mine overnight as my house has lots of steps and stairs but if she carries on improving I am hoping she could come for a visit or Sunday lunch. Thats do-able. If she can transfer to a car safely it opens things up a bit. She can't come home though, she would be on ...
Hi, thanks for all the support guys. I'll just give you a little update. The physio's and the staff in the care home have got my mum walking a bit now but she is dragging a leg quite a bit. She gets up and sets off by herself, which the physio's have said is not allowed, and the staff are always hav...
The decision to put Mum in 24hr care was made jointly by me, a social worker and the physical therapy team . I could have gone down the reablement care route but she's been in there when she broke her hip and as we live on the edge of our health authority I knew it would mean lots of travelling back...
Thanks for the reassurance ladies, I know what you are saying is the truth. I know its going to take time for both sides. It does not help when people say things like "why is she in here when she has such a lovely bungalow?". The only thing that bungalow can do is provide the money to look after her...
Hi, I have posted before regarding caring for my Mum and the difficulties it has caused for me and my family. Earlier this month she went into 24hr care after a stroke had severely affected her mobility and caused her dementia to get worse. I have had lots of conflicting emotions going on, ending up...