Hi again Davina. Glad some one mentioned disregard of council tax. A person can get this if they are in receipt of attendance allowance, live alone and also been diagnosed with dementia. Ring the council tax people and see what the procedure is. I got it for my mum and also a refund of about £2000....
Hi Bowlingbun,

Yes still at home and NO the doctor did NOT visit! I probably should of made more of a fuss but was too exhausted. Anyway it cleared up without treatment and he did keep himself hydrated. I later learned others in the building also had so I guess it was just a bug.
Were you told that the exemption can be BACKDATED to the date of diagnosis??? Some councils don't tell you this. I've helped people reclaim thousands, it really annoys me that people are being denied the help that they are entitled to as a result. Be sure to spread the word. I now routinely drop th...
Also no one mentioned attendance allowance!! A tax free social security benefit which isn't means tested and is for people over the age of 65 who need help with personal care . Telephone 0800 7310122 for application form. As far as I know (unless the rules have been changed!) successful claims are ...
Hi Davina, Thank you for sharing this info. Can you post a link to the BMA site for future references? I'm a teacher and we do all manner of letters and forms for our pupils and parents and we do it most of it in our time, for free, so GPs charging for a standard letter really annoys me. Melly1 Sur...
Hi, Just thought I would share this in case it helps someone else. When my FIL was diagnosed with dementia I was told (by the health worker who visited him at home) that he could apply for a council tax discount of 25%. A month later and I am still in the process but have discovered two things of in...
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorry I have only just seen most of them as I was kept constantly busy for the rest of the week! I went back the next day to find every room covered in a trail of poo - mostly carpeted to! So got my comeuppance for the first days event and spent 4 hours scrubbing th...
Thanks for that Mrs Average, made me feel much better plus I am on my third glass of wine and just starting to see the funny side 😂 I will visit again tomorrow and see if he is unwell.
Oh what a day! We had a mental health practitioner coming to my father in laws flat to give results of tests and MRI. I arrived early to find blood and poo all over bathroom! His pjs covered in blood he told me he had a bad fall in the night. I got it all cleaned up in time for the visitor who was t...
Hi Emily, You don't sound horrible you sound like a very caring person who is exhausted and drained. You need a support system around you and some respite for yourself or you just won't cope and that's not being selfish it's being practical. What about family yours and his? Any help available there?...