Dad is 80 Has attendance allowance and direct payments for a few hours paid care each week. Mum has had a carers assessment. Dad has always been a caring and loving husband (and Dad) which is why it's so hard to see him being so dismissive of my Mum. They have has a happy married life with great res...
Hello all, My Dad has a condition called MPH but also has vascular dementia which has taken a step up recently. Dad is becoming very demanding and calling the shots at home and leaving Mum very upset, he never says please or thank you and treats Mum like she is nothing to him. I care for Dad 2 days ...
Thank you all for your replies. It's been a while but I'm in a much better emotional place now. I agree that I don't HAVE to do what I do but I WANT to. I,v now got some support from a couple of great carers and have now taken on a type of care manager role as suggested by BB. This means that I can ...
Hi, Just a quick update and some good news (I know there isn't much of that around)! Dad continues to do well, he is walking around at home comfortably now, slowly but under his own speed. We take the wheelchair when we are out and about but Dad can walk around 50 meters with the aid of a stick. The...
Hi Tim, I'm so pleased you had a productive and informative meeting, hopfuly you will be able to make a plan to perhaps move forward. I take on board what you say about there not being a cure but a treatment ans for some the treatment may not work ill also look at the link. Good news. Dad has been w...
Gosh Tim what a time of it you've had! There seem to be very few people that know anything about NPH, yet our surgeon said it's quite a common proceadure. I think he may be the main man for this in the south east where we are from though. Dad is 79 and has had some small strokes earlier in the year ...
So sorry to here your situation and the worry and frustration it causes. I would agree that the council and agency need to know that you are NOT available to cover the carers shifts and that they have a duty of care to ensure the visits are made and you hold them responsible between those hours. I a...
Sorry, I just need to vent and this seemed a good place to do it rather than send my brother a horrible but truthful message. Why is it that I am again left caring for my parents while my brother swans off for a long weekend away? I just don't get it. He is is due to retire and is winding down at wo...
Yes it is, however for some there is a Treatment which works for some people.

Having a shunt fitted can drain the fluid and can remove some of the symptoms, its brain surgery and significant surgery but can have fantastic results.
Dad is having one fitted tomorrow!

Kay
Thank you, The council have a service that offers advise and they have declaired that we should be looking at employing someone rather than a self employee, there would be funds in the budget to do so I think. it seems such a shame but I'm feeling the simple solution is use the agency! It's really g...