I'd be really interested to know what the reasons are for this kind of attitude (I mean, from a psychological or gerontological viewpoint) and why it's so difficult to adjust. "That's just the way they are" doesn't always feel like a sufficient answer for something that is such a big influence in s...
Something that's started occurring recently is that, if there is a visitor at the house, my nan won't speak up to say that she needs to use the toilet - either by herself or with my grandad's help. Consequently, she ends up soiling herself and only says she's going to the toilet when the visitor has...
Hi Kimberley, This is a horrible time. I suggest that you Google "Signs of Dying". There are some really good articles written by people in the hospice movement, which explain what happens when a body isn't feeling too good. I probably shouldn't have followed that up just as I'm about to go to bed.
Having thought about this a bit over the past few days, I'd wondered about financial counselling for older people who may have some resources and savings that could be used to improve their quality of life. I've looked for information and guidance on it - there isn't any that I could find. I know no...
Hi Greta - just wanted to acknowledge your comment. I did start drafting a reply and it turned into something longer than expected, and then the past couple of days ended up being very busy. Hopefully I'll get chance to post a proper response in the next few days.
There are certainly plenty of commercial, industrial and academic ventures happening in this area - which is great and I've absolutely no problem with that - but very little (from what I can find) outside of that, at a grassroots level. Even maker communities, which are quite well-supported and popu...
I'd be really interested to know what the reasons are for this kind of attitude (I mean, from a psychological or gerontological viewpoint) and why it's so difficult to adjust. "That's just the way they are" doesn't always feel like a sufficient answer for something that is such a big influence in so...
I think I might have already fallen into a rant on another thread :lol:
As someone whose caring responsibilities have recently undergone radical change, I've found myself having to adapt to circumstances and helping my grandparents and family to do the same. There are many problems and challenges, and quite a few of those are interesting to me from a design point of vie...
For elderly drivers and passengers with limited mobility (and need some support getting into and out of the car), does anybody have any experience with cars that have sliding doors, rather than swing-out doors? I was wondering if they offer greater manoeuvrability or have some unexpected limitations...