Remind your sister that if mum is seriously disabled in need of nursing care, it would cost mum about £1,000 a week!! So what you receive is a very modest sum in comparison and by doing this, rather than going down the nursing home route, it means that you are protecting HER share of any inheritance...
Yes, , they become exempt on the grounds of "severe mental impairment" BACKDATEABLE to the date of diagnosis!! (Make sure the council do this, not everyone knows the rules). If mum and dad live together without anyone else there permanently, then no Council Tax at all is payable. Make sure she is al...
It would be better if dad had direct payments, which you could manage, but get someone else to visit him regularly, so you can reclaim your life.
Dump any feelings of guilt, because none of this is your fault. This is far more than grief. (I'm a widow). There is a term used on the forum that I don't like at all, but can't think of anything better. "Elderly Toddler", where the carer takes the role of The Parent. You cannot carry on as you are....
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you start by trying to get a proper diagnosis from the doctor. Do you have Power of Attorney for dad? If not, and the doctor is reluctant to talk to you, keep a diary. If you have a mobile phone, record dad when he's being horrible. Many forum members have ...
Selina, That's a horrible situation. I also had a bad car accident but my injuries didn't show up immediately. I was told my painful knees would "get better in 6 months". I had a wonderful holiday planned on the Great Barrier Reef, until the physiotherapist told me I wouldn't be well enough. Instead...
Hi Jason, Welcome to the forum. You are a wonderful son caring so well for your parents, but I'm concerned that you don't seem to be getting any outside help. You need time off from caring to look after yourself as well. How to achieve this depends on a number of things. Does dad have a formal diagn...
Selina,

As your husband was injured as the result of a car accident, have you been in touch with the insurance company?
There are time limits for making claims, do NOT leave it too long to claim.
Always send correspondence to DWP by Recorded Delivery, so they can't deny receiving it. I've done this ever since they left me waiting over 6 months for something, many years ago.