What exactly is the matter with mum? Age?
Actually, if I was you, I would be pleading for him to shout and scream, because he is a MAN and it is HIS house. Don't get me wrong, I was as strong as my husband, but we had an unwritten agreement that if it helped, either one would take the lead, or if it made life easier, we would "blame" the ot...
.Good idea about the neighbours Jenny, if the house did go up (and it only needs someone to turn on a light switch!) then innocent passers by, innocent children, could also be injured or killed.

Did you tell anyone else at the time who can corroborate your story??
My brother died of pancreatic cancer a couple of years ago. He was with his wife in Uruguay where she lived at the time. They tried all sorts of things, frankly with a diagnosis like that surely ANYTHING that makes the last few months more bearable is worth trying. He told me he had some good stuff ...
If she EVER does that again with the gas, ring the Gas Board and the Fire Brigade IMMEDIATELY. Social Services will take far more notice of them than you. The only way you will get anywhere is to get as much help and support and hard evidence as possible. So always have your mobile phone with you, a...
My in laws had been married for 60 years, MIL spent her last few months in a secure home. It was an incredibly sad day for FIL when MIL took off her wedding ring because she didn't remember that she had been married. For me, it was the day she thought I was my sister in law (I'm 7" taller!) but stra...
My son with LD has a council "Companion Bus Pass" - that shows he needs someone with him.
Shaun, Whilst I understand that there is always hope, there is also the need to plan. Have your family considered what they would do if the worst happened? Which funeral director would you use, for example. I know it's awful to think about, but you need to. My father in law didn't, when MIL was ill ...
How old is dad?
When did mum last have a Carers Assessment from Social Services, and dad, a Needs Assessment.
Does mum have Power of Attorney?
It's so important for everyone to realise that as the dementia deepens, outside help is accepted.
Pet, what you did was absolutely right. Staff need to understand how relatives are trying to put a brave face on but it is VERY difficult.