I guess the question is "do you want to support him anymore?" OK, he is unwell, but he does need to take responsibility for making himself well again. You are being supportive in this. If he won't help himself I think it could be time to reconsider your relationship. This doesn't sound like much of ...
Hey My Dad had a few periods of temporary respite. Our local council had a list of beds which was updated daily and could be allocated at short notice if needed. Call your local council and try and speak to the Adult Social Care team. Does your caree have less than £23k in savings? If so Local Autho...
All I can say is good for you. I hope telling your story here has helped. You have done the right thing. I can relate to the ambiguous grief that Pet mentions. I've been through this with both parents. Please stay strong and now put your wife and children first. Give your children the childhood you ...
Welcome to the forum. Lots of excellent ideas. PLEASE don't isolate yourself . There is a whole world out there to explore. My Mum looked after my Dad for years until he went into a home and he discouraged friends too. It is hard for her. She now sadly has dementia herself. How about joining a local...

!

Hi Stephen

Thanks for this - sounds great. I'm going to look. My Mum hates the ready meals we buy her for the carers to reheat when we aren't there.

it is such a shame that meals on wheels died a death as would be perfect for my Mum.
I also had the care of both parents at one point. And found it really helpful to think about what I could realistically do for them with the time I had spare. What I or my sister couldn't do had to fall to someone else. There was a point we were doing everything, and we were broken. Don't get to tha...
Def look at getting some help for Mum. it might make her less stressed? Is Dad getting Attendance Allowance which would start to pay for some help? It isn't means tested. A cleaner was a good starting point for us. But it might be that someone to get him up and to bed might be good too? Does your Mu...
Hi Was in the exact same situation 2 years ago. You have to be really strong. Dig your heals in and say he is not coming home. If your Mum is at the end of her tether get her to her GP and say she is on the brink of exhaustion and breakdown through caring and can't go on any longer. Lay it on thick....
I'd let her eat cheese! My Mum also has dementia and has a serious chocolate/cake habit, she has so little of joy left to her that I won't deny her. Mum also likes a ploughman's and I'll stick coleslaw or veg on that which she will each my sister also regularly cooks her a roast and fill the late wi...
Great news Tracy. Definitely make sure you send the dr your true concerns in detail so they know what they are looking for in advance. Have a copy to hand to your dr when he/she arrives as well. Best of luck.