Thank you to you all for your replies, I appreciate your comments & thoughts. Needless to say, they have just reinforced my reluctance to doing it because I have the same worries! Mother is coming home from Hospital either today or tomorrow...we will cross our fingers that the blocking doesn't happe...
Thank you Rosemary. Yes, Nurses suggested myself and my sister learned how to do it & a Dr at the Hospital said (quite glibly I thought) 'you could do it' when I was trying to explain to him how many times we have problems. I'm not really that keen either because of things like you said, and would d...
Hi

Does anyone know if there are any medical, legal, ethical, or moral reasons why family shouldn't learn to do these for another family member?
Or is it ok to learn from Community Nurses?

Thanks.
Hi My Mum has had a Urethral Catheter for the past 3 or 4 years for Retention. Sometimes the urine doesn't flow from the leg bag to the night bag - I've found that holding the leg bag horizontally and holding the long night bag tube horizontally too can send the urine whizzing down from leg to night...
I know how you feel as regards Carers...... My Mum has had some coming in twice a day since January...... the morning call ranges from 6.30am to 11.00am. I've had to set my alarm to ensure I'm up and downstairs by 6.30am to let them in (we live next door to a Pub and step straight onto the pavement ...
Thank you Rosemary. Its nice to know there are other people out there struggling with this issue (but not at all nice for them I know!). We have a Repose Mattress (to try to prevent pressure sores) with a Kylie(?) sheet on top. Plus a Repose cushion that we sometimes put a small towel on top of - bu...
Hi In a nutshell, my Mother was admitted to Hospital again last week with dangerously low Sodium levels. She has a permanent Urethral Catheter for Retention (she is unable to 'go' without it). It has been constantly blocking for about the last 6 months, and I am having to call on District Nurses day...
So very sorry to hear of your loss.
I'm so sorry about this situation for you. I apologise, I hope my reply wasn't insensitive, but I didn't see your post at 6.48am when I posted my reply. I understand and agree with you, it is hard to speak to the Drs, especially when there are so many different ones working on the Wards and they mig...
Hi Carol Yes, I would agree with Mrs A and speak to the Drs. My Mum, also aged 89, was admitted to hospital on 18th December; she has been hallucinating, reaching out to people, things that aren't there, talking about deceased relatives and this has all been due to a serious UTI infection, low Sodiu...