I'm a 17 and a half year Traceaostomy carer for my daughter who is 18. She also has global development delay, cortical visual impairment and brain damage and is peg fed. The eldest daughter is 29 has severe Autism , Epilepsy and is on Anti Psychoctic medication as she is so violent. My son has come...
It's a difficult one because, for most people, if you don't care for your loved one, who will? I've a sixteen year old son with complex needs. The NHS have been dreadful at almost every step of the way, with one or two exceptions. The educational provision was so poor I ended up doing it myself for ...
She was 2 last week What gets me is that she was getting middle rate care and then all of a sudden according to dla she is the same as any other child her age I’ll get down to citizens advice tomorrow so that I can get the appeal in motion Emmy, if it's any help at all, I've been to several tribuna...
No1mum I've been googling this, and it appears, ( I may be wrong) that parental responsibility ends when a child is 18, unless they marry. So, I really think you do need to jump up and down, maybe starting with your GP, to explain its getting more difficult, with your son's complex needs, to care f...
Hello there, everybody, I hope the sun is a nice change for folk and not driving anyone mad just yet :) I just have a question and I'm hoping some of you might be able to help. I do not want to be my son's carer. He turned 16 a month ago and as far as I'm concerned, a sixteen year old without health...
Hi Mumwhocares Has anyone mentioned 'trusts' to you? It's where his money and assets is held in trust and only given to him when the trustees agree. At the end of the trust (i.e. in his death) the money goes to where specified in the trust deed, i.e. to nominated persons or perhaps a charity. Howev...
I've been reading some more and it's making me quite depressed, to be honest, it seems that basically only wealthy people with learning difficulties can have accounts in their own name or decide where any money they leave in a will can go. I'm feeling quite sick at the lack of provision; it can't be...
Hi again everyone, I thought I'd update this as I'm finding more and more things are coming up the more I read (which is always the way!) so I thought I'd start parking what I find out and my own thoughts about our situation just in case anyone has any similar experience or advice (and partly becaus...
Sounds like someone hasn't explained it properly. As Appointee you should open a separate bank account in YOUR name, into which all his benefits are paid. Then you manage that account. It's NOT in his name. I don't want it in my name though, I want him to have his own accounts in his own name as I ...
My son is 38, mental age of 3, I'm his DWP Appointee. Who says you can't be Appointee after he's 16? Hi BB, I can be his appointee from the age of 16 but I can't sign any documents on his behalf so I can't open a bank account for him or manage things like his pension and so on. We had a big who haa...