Sounds like someone hasn't explained it properly. As Appointee you should open a separate bank account in YOUR name, into which all his benefits are paid. Then you manage that account. It's NOT in his name. I don't want it in my name though, I want him to have his own accounts in his own name as I ...
My son is 38, mental age of 3, I'm his DWP Appointee. Who says you can't be Appointee after he's 16? Hi BB, I can be his appointee from the age of 16 but I can't sign any documents on his behalf so I can't open a bank account for him or manage things like his pension and so on. We had a big who haa...
Hello MumWhoCares and welcome back to the forum (you've been missed :D ) I can't help you personally, although I did have Power of Attorney for my Mum which gave me the power to manage her financial affairs (I didn't have the Health & Welfare one as it wasn't around at the time) but I'm sure the Ca...
Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the best area to post about this in so please feel free to move it if there's somewhere more suitable. My son turns sixteen in a couple of months time so I'm looking into the best way to manage his affairs on his behalf when that happens. I'm reading up on various t...
Louise this is a tough situation! Our neighbours smoke a lot of weed and it does stink; I burn a lot of incense and essential oils (things like lavender or lemon/orange oil are nice). Noise wise, as the obvious things haven't helped, can you try ear plugs or leaving music on very low through the nig...
This is rude, Scally, and I personally am fed up with the very small number of people on this forum who think it's perfectly okay to say what they like without any care about whether other people are offended by it. The mods do a very difficult and time consuming job and they do it so that everyone ...
It is amazing how caring these paramedics are. We had to call an ambulance out a few weeks ago for my daughter who was really unwell due to the heat. They checked her out thoroughly and although she didn't need to go into hospital they stayed for nearly 2hrs chatting and giving her a pep talk. I wa...
You sound like you're doing amazingly well, Kath, and I'm glad you're in a good relationship and that your mum is happy! It is nice to have our parents onside, even when we're grown up :)

Babbling away is good! What are you studying with the OU, if you don't mind me asking?
I think there's a big difference between 'can't and 'won't' :). If he genuinely 'can't' do something then that's when social services have to step in (but that means you stepping out!). If he 'won't' then that's his choice and not down to you to sort out. Perhaps you could just start off with someth...
Hi Lorna, I care for my son, so my situation is a bit different to yours, but as he's getting older, I'm starting to look at ways of getting my life back. I don't think anyone should settle for a life such as the one you describe. Other people know more than I do about social services assessments fo...