I am living in the home, have been there 7 years.

The issue seems to be the top up fees, which I think is a separate issue to the contribution my mother makes from her income. That top up contribution had to be made from someone else, not her.
She went into the Home at short notice on a respite basis. She suddenly couldn’t manage at home as she was unable to stand unaided. So we found the home and we self funded. However her funds almost immediately dropped below the £23 threshold and we began the financial assessment process. I am a year...
Hello, My mother went into a care home a couple of months ago. We have just got to the point of the financial assessment being completed. However there is quite a large top up payment required which we are told has to be paid by someone other than my mother. What happens if we are unable to afford t...
Well as a quick update, Mum is home after a 11 day hospital stay. They concluded that she had fallen because of pain in her legs. She has been discharged with no additional care provided. But now mum has lost her confidence to the extent that she wants to go into a care home. She says she is worried...
Thanks for all the input. I am fairly overwhelmed, I have to say. I am a bit unclear about what the magic age of reaching 60 actually means. Does it mean they can’t take the money from the eventual sale of the house? If not, does it actually mean anything at all? My mum does have savings of more tha...
Thank you Chris and Henrietta for your replies. Through one of the age concern links from you Chris, I found something about NHS continuing healthcare. I suspect this could apply to my mother if the hospital decides she cannot return to her own home. We don’t know yet exactly how we stand on this. I...
Hello, I moved in to my mum’s flat to be her carer about 7 years ago. My marriage was ending and it seemed a solution to help us both at the time However she has had a few falls recently and has now ended up in hospital. There is some talk of her being unable to return home. It is a bit up in the ai...
Yes Melly1 I agree with you. She is not going to be able to hold anything like a douche. Her hands are not strong and things get dropped several times a day. I think I need to stay with the Japanese toilet. I think it will be the best answer for her, to help her keep her independence.

Diane
Thanks for all the replies. I’m meeting with the plumber later this week to discuss further. However he is not keen on the Japanese toilet idea and is suggesting a hand held douche arrangement. I don’t know what these are like but he plans to get me a catalogue. My mum is a bit dubious about being a...
Hello, I am looking for some advice re having a wet room installed in my flat where I live with my disabled mother. She has had severe rheumatoid arthritis for 50 years and is now finding it hard to get into the shower because of the step into the shower. So it seems that a wet room might be the bes...