Chris This is horrendous. ARGUE ARGUE ARGUE with that hospital. I had exactly the same with my mother. Hospitals have a duty to ensure a SAFE DISCHARGE. They are very heavily fined if they do not. The hospital will have a Patient Liason office - phone them first thing Monday morning. Explain all you...
I have an ongoing long running battle on at the moment to try to get a height adjustable yet sturdy commode for my badly arthritic mother. The one we were given is too high for her and also causes damage to her legs from the prongs on the side where the footplates fit. I got around that by swathing ...
What Katy Did... Huge hugs my lovely - I have a 'lovely' Mother too - as long as she's getting all her own way, no matter the emotional or physical cost to anyone else. I'm an only child, been living & caring for her for years since my Dad died, in the 1990's. As hard as I try to find solutions for ...
Jenny/Paul Its a vicious circle with demanding and controlling elderly folk. If I hadn't given up so much of my life and my earning potential I wouldn't be in the position I am in now - i.e. stuck here with my mother, no funds to leave. I'd like to say that at least the wake up call of how I've been...
Suzy, You really HAVE to change the way things are working for you right now. I've fallen into this trap. Mother has developed the wonderful knack of giving our carer help nothing to do and then the minute I walk through the door - wham - a 'to do' list that would choke a goat. Not great considering...
My mother who is nearly 92 is incredibly selfish and always has been. I've been her full time live in carer since 1994 - I gave up my life to help her after my Dad died. I'm an only child. Things got to a head late last year when she developed delirium after contracting pneumonia, she spent 5 weeks ...
Tony, As far as I can see - apart from this being a grossly unfair situation - you've already taken the first, vital, step - you've acknowledged that your'e feeling deeply unhappy about this situation. And please trust me (I started caring for my mother aged 33 - and I am now 57) the feeling only ge...
William, I sympathise with you completely as my own mother is exactly the same. Wants me and only me. And she truly doesn't care how miserable I am or how ill I feel. I suffer from chronic IBS that was brought on solely from long term caring (I made the fatal mistake of moving back in with her 'temp...
Joe,

It takes a lot of guts and compassion to be a carer. The person who said this to you appears to have neither.

Hold your head up my lovely. Your'e doing a very hard job under very difficult circumstances. We all salute & support you xxx
Apart from Mum's plethora of GPs (never see the same one twice) who failed to diagnose 6 weeks of raging delirium, have nothing but praise for the paramedics who came out etc.

Be rather nice to think there was something similar in the TV viewing pipeline one day for 'unsung heroes' Carers...?! ;)