Judith Next time sibling makes a sarky comment - offer to swop places. You'll get your life back - they can 'suffer' for a change. Caring is ANYTHING but easy - I'm in my late 50's - its ebbed my life away - been caring/companion since I was in my early 30\s to my arthritic mother. I've lived her 'p...
Jenny, Am going to carry on as I am for now - mainly because it appears mother now has a heart condition and I don't think the road will be so very long. This house and the capital is all I have to show for the 23 years of my life lost to caring. Its my own old age pot and coming up to my 60's I wan...
Hi Jenny! I'm back to doing most of the care myself - with respite during the day. The cost of live in 'care' was horrendous and the carer attitudes caused more problems here than they solved. The agency have a large number of folk from South Africa who don't appear to be well trained (with a few ex...
My partner's 88 year old mother was admitted to hospital 3 weeks ago with a fractured hip. Plans are now in place to discharge her home. She has bad dementia (8 years) and hospital doctor very concerned that she has stopped eating and is basically shutting down. Partner can't cope he works long hour...
What I want to know....WHY is respite care so expensive?? Am currently locked in a battle with the 'care agency' I had to use to help me get over my breakdown last year. All the carers they sent were addicted to their mobile phones, moved into our home - took over. They've damaged wooden furniture w...
Having suffered a neighbour's kitchen extraction fan that plumed very strong cooking smells into our small courtyard garden and necessitated we had to keep all windows shut in summer from 6pm till 10.30pm (as she often cooked later) I can quite categorically tell you, that there is such a thing as s...
Chris This is horrendous. ARGUE ARGUE ARGUE with that hospital. I had exactly the same with my mother. Hospitals have a duty to ensure a SAFE DISCHARGE. They are very heavily fined if they do not. The hospital will have a Patient Liason office - phone them first thing Monday morning. Explain all you...
I have an ongoing long running battle on at the moment to try to get a height adjustable yet sturdy commode for my badly arthritic mother. The one we were given is too high for her and also causes damage to her legs from the prongs on the side where the footplates fit. I got around that by swathing ...
What Katy Did... Huge hugs my lovely - I have a 'lovely' Mother too - as long as she's getting all her own way, no matter the emotional or physical cost to anyone else. I'm an only child, been living & caring for her for years since my Dad died, in the 1990's. As hard as I try to find solutions for ...
Jenny/Paul Its a vicious circle with demanding and controlling elderly folk. If I hadn't given up so much of my life and my earning potential I wouldn't be in the position I am in now - i.e. stuck here with my mother, no funds to leave. I'd like to say that at least the wake up call of how I've been...