I am half way through "What matters in Jane Austen?" by John Mullan, a must for any Jane Austen addict, and "In the shadow of Agatha Christie" by Leslie S. Klinger, classic crime fiction by forgotten female writers 1850 - 1917. Then I have two piles of books waiting to be read, when I have the time!...
Hello Sally, Also living on the Island I also had the same problem as yourself, trying to find a nursing home which also provided respite care. Last December my husband and I had booked to go away for a short Break, as I am also full time carer for my 86 yr old Mum, I tried 5 different homes, First ...
Thank you all for your replies. It would seem that she has had an electric shock and things are working again!! Touching wood that this goes on for a long time but I tend to live from day to day as parkinsons seems to be different every day!
When Mum came out of hospital, it was on her discharge notes but no exclamation from anyone or anything on her medical notes! I will be making an appointment with our GP to have her referred to see the consultant to find out some more. Apart from a short term memory problem she is fairly lucid at th...
Hello, Not sure if this is the right place but wondered if anyone has heard of this effect that a TIA might have had on someone. I am full time carer of my 86 yr old mother who suffers from parkinsons with dementia, ostio aritus in her spine and a number of other ailments. During November and Decemb...
Thank you for your replies. After trying to argue my case with CA getting no further forward, as both Mother and MIL were already receiving AA, which they give to me, I decided not to try and claim CA, as I have neither the time nor energy to pursue it. As self employed it does mean that during the ...
I am also a carer for my elderly mother and part time for my MIL, and claimed for carers allowance, but because I am self employed with my husband and get £10.00 above the limit which is set for CA, my claim was thrown out. Both Mother and MIL recieve Attendance Allowance which is not means tested w...
We have a Carers UK on the IOW, a small charity who have been most helpful, showing me how to help my mother up after a fall, with the aid of 2 chairs, without straining myself. They also had a carers forum for any problems carers might have, my main point is if one was a private carer ie: the patie...
Thank you all for your replies. Will have a long think about it. I am full time carers for mother with advanced parkinsons and MIL with macular degeneration and am also self employed, running a business with husband and son who also help with the caring. So far no help offered apart from charities.
Has anyone had a Carer's Assessment carried out by their local council? If what does it consist of and what help was it to you?