[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers UK Forum - Search
My elder sister has chronic kidney disease, has in the past year had two falls and two hospital admissions. She is 75 years old. She lives alone a hundred miles away in London. She has always been fiercely independent. Following her last hospital discharge she has twice daily caters and a lifeline w...
You are in a very difficult situation. My older sister fell at home recently, cutting a long story short, admission to hospital. This revealed long standing health issues, and the result of the fall five broken ribs. She too thought she was coping, but had begun to have help with cleaning, but wasn’...
Well it’s respite for the time being.

A breathing space, literally.
I think she has enough funds for a couple of months respite, but her aim is to go back home, if she can. I’m not sure this is a realistic appraisal but only time will tell.

Sue
I am so sorry that life is so difficult for you. I have only experience a few weeks of anxiety about my sister. She still has the ability to understand how difficult it was for all of us all when she was living with us, so she has made the choice to move to respite care from hospital. I know it is n...
Yes relief, and guilt.

I am so relaxed today.

I think most carers would identify with those twin emotions.

Sue
What a change in 24 hours! My sister is now registered with the local GP practice, has spoken to a local care home and can move in. She was linked in to a rapid response team, who came and were to begin personal care today. After ringing the GP surgery again, a doctor came and assessed her (first ti...
No..... She always listened, to me when I had problems, but wasn’t good at practical hands on stuff. Both my brother and her said they got too upset seeing mum and dad struggling. Because of my professional work as a social worker I did know about services and care. I was appointee and managed finan...
Well, Christmas over. My sister want to go home. We are ringing her surgery tomorrow when they are open to put together support for her at home. She has agreed to a key safe and a pendant. We would like her to see her doctor, but again, she has to agree. She lives a 100 miles from me, I am worried s...
She is walking bent over, yes, as if she is trying to avoid anything she might fall over. Her sight isn’t very good, even with her glasses and her hearing is not good. She is better if she can lip read. The ambulance crew who came to help in London spoke about a re enablement team to avoid admission...
Well Christmas came and went. My sister refused to go to bed, and slept in a chair downstairs. Last night she fell again. Didn’t hurt herself this time. We rang 111 again, doctor thought this was not a health issue, but social care. Everything seems closed, both our GP practice and my sisters. We ar...