Hi WDD, Can't help with deputyship. but from my experience of looking round and choosing a Care Home (which I got wrong) the most important thing is the staff. You are looking for a good ratio of staff to residents, a policy and experience with dementia residents and a kind and caring attitude. Als...
Does dad own a property? Have over £23,000 in savings as far as you know? Anyone else living in his old home? Does he even have a home of his own anywhere? You may not need deputy ship. We do need deputyship. He does have over £23k of savings so we are going to have to self-fund. My mum is living i...
My 93 year old father has been in hospital for the past 3 weeks, (he has dementia), pending assessment and then finding a care home for him. He has been assessed as being 'without capacity' and there is no Power of Attorney (as he refused point blank to do one, even though we discussed it with him a...
Thanks Anne - and others - for your advice. My father has now been transferred to a community hospital (over the weekend) and I expect that, over the coming days, we will have contact with the social worker to decide what happens to him now. Ideally we would like him to return to the home in which h...
My 93 year old father, who has a diagnosis of dementia, has been in and out of a care home for respite for my elderly mother over the past 2 - 3 months. We would have liked him to stay in the home permanently (earlier post from me, back in June, reported how he had started to push her and prevent he...
My Mum and Dad were in a similar situation. He was a bully made worse by illness. In the end Mum called an ambulance after a particularly bad incident and I refused to have him home from hospital. Mum came to stay with me and my sister for a few weeks and said there was no one at home to care for h...
But if she stays in the house, he will just come back and she'll be stuck with him again. If we tell him there's no one there to look after him, he will have no choice but to go into a home permanently (and then she can go home again later).
My mum (83) has effectively become a carer for my extremely demanding, controlling and ill-tempered father (93), who has always been a bully but who has got worse. He has recently been diagnosed with early stage dementia. He is in reasonable health but can't see or hear very well, can only eat 'soft...
Hi Sue. Would he eat/enjoy soup? I have a soup maker and it's brilliant (and easy) for making nutrious soup and you can make it completely smooth (even things like pea and ham), so it's nutritious but easy to eat and digest. Soup is very filling and of course, nutritious and you can freeze it in bat...
Hi Worried DD and welcome I have a 96 year old Mum in a residential care home where plenty of good nutritious food is available but over the past few months she has started saying nothing tastes of anything and eating very little. However we aren't concerned as we realise that appetite changes and ...