Hi Polly, Seems to be a common personality trait in people with MND- they're so headstrong! Unfortunately, from my experience, it takes something fairly major (i.e. a shock to the system) for them to realise that they need more help as the disease progresses. With my Gran, it took her falling down o...
Hi Chris, Another MND carer here- my Gran was diagnosed in March with ALS type. You should have received the MND booklet when the diagnosis was made- it has absolutely everything information-wise that you could need. Please try and make time to read it (if you haven't had it, the MND Association web...
The neurologist has started him on a course of meds, called Riluzol, which see said can sometimes help. What I am dreading the most is watching him suffer, especially if he knows what's happening. Hi Lesley, Riluzole helps in the sense that it can prolong life for an average of 3 months (though, so...
Hi Lesley, My Gran is currently battling ALS- it really is like living in a waking nightmare, you're right. The main bit of advice I can give you is to get equipment before it's needed- this disease can literally progress overnight. A lot of the time, it can be the case that equipment arrives and it...
Thanks for the support guys- I knew you'd understand the frustration!

I'm nearly finished in the house, so I'd be quite grateful to hand the keys back earlier than even the month notice period (it'll be one less thing to worry about).
Hi Guys, This is just a rant because I'm fuming and I know most of you will understand where I'm coming from! So, from my previous posts, you'll know my Gran has rapidly progressing MND. She was diagnosed in March of this year, but presented symptoms since June-ish of last year. I've been steadily i...
Hi Chris, Hmm definitely food for thought! having said that, I know it's down to the 'principle of the thing', but I feel like money is the only thing that we're not struggling with (ironic, considering it's the one thing we did struggle with when I was a child!) I'd pay through the roof for a decen...
Thank you :D
Just checked, Housing Benefit should still be available for the first 13 weeks after she moves into a home. I googled "Housing Benefit Residential Care". Double check for yourself. It would take a bit of pressure off you. That's brilliant- more than covers the 4 weeks' notice period, thankfully. Ve...
Ending a tenancy ... all you need to know : https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-privately/ending-your-tenancy/ending-your-tenancy/ had a call today from the local nursing home to say that they're coming out tomorrow to do an assessment- [/i] Mmmm ... and CHC / NHS Contuing Healthcare ...