Oh thank you so much! That is really brilliant help and advice. Mum's only family and friends in the UK are in her home town as she lived abroad till she retired here 12 years ago. I'm her only relative in this country and I am in a neighbouring village. So I think we have a strong case for her need...
Thanks so much Chris. Just to be clear, West Sussex offers an 'adult social care assessment' (which we have applied for). Is this the same as the 'needs assessment' you mention?
Thank you very much for the advice, everyone. Yes, mum rents her home. I have discussed with her what she would prefer and it's because she is losing confidence and feeling lonely, as well as finding it increasingly difficult to manage on her own with worsening eyesight, that she is now wondering wh...
Up to now my mum (86) has been living in her own house despite having poor mobility and being registered blind. This has been possible because I've put in a lot of time and effort supporting her but now she is becoming forgetful and confused and her needs are moving beyond what I can realistically p...
Thanks Bowlingbun, yes indeed a nightmare! But thankfully have just heard that this guy's GP visited today and is contacting Social Services. Hopefully they will assess his finances and help him decide what his options are. Yes, it is my house and mum utterly relies on me for all sorts of support so...
Please help me get some perspective on this and on what if anything I can do. My elderly mum (85, legally blind, limited mobility but still of sound mind) has recently met a man whom she seems smitten with despite not knowing much about him. He's 86 and has had an amputation as a result of which he ...
Thank you so much Bowlingbun, I had no idea! I will start keeping a record.
That's a good question. I can see the benefits of CA. But I don't feel that I can legitimately claim to care for mum 35 hours a week every week. I have done at times but in general I think it is less. I do her shopping, paperwork, medical appointments and social visits, but mum doesn't live with me ...
Cheers Chris!

PS I did know the SDP was dependent on no one claiming carers allowance for mum; the nice DWP lady explained that was why mum could claim it. I can see this would come as a nasty shock if you are not expecting it though!
Thank you very much, Chris. I have discovered that it's called SDP (severe disability premium) and would be added to mum's Pension Credit benefit. I hadn't realised that it was part of pension credit and I think I was also wrong about it being £30pw (the website says £64.30 for a single person). Tha...