Thank you everyone. This is extremely helpful. I have added all your suggestions to my own list of questions. We are seeing the doctor today so your advice is very timely.
Thank you so much!
Thank you very much Chris. I am working my way through the documents. Forewarned is forearmed and all that...
Thanks!
Apologies for asking another question so soon after my last one, but it seems that my mum (86, blind, lives alone with great difficulty) is going to need abdominal surgery. We have a consultation tomorrow and while it will of course be mainly about the medical side I would like to aIso raise the iss...
Thanks Bowlingbun! I will keep that one up my sleeve for total desperation time. Great to have the nuclear button, maybe even just to mention it to the SS if necessary.
Thanks everyone. I will definitely contact Age UK next time (well, I hope there isn't one but if there is). I have also been thinking that going through the Visual Impairment people (ROVIs) might be best since mum's difficulties are really a result of her not being able to see. If she could see I th...
Hi everyone My immediate crisis is over now but I am asking this so I will be better prepared if/when it happens again. My mum is 86, registered blind (no central vision), lives alone with help from me (shopping, banking etc) and twice-weekly visits from a cleaner whom she pays for herself. She has ...
Oh thank you so much! That is really brilliant help and advice. Mum's only family and friends in the UK are in her home town as she lived abroad till she retired here 12 years ago. I'm her only relative in this country and I am in a neighbouring village. So I think we have a strong case for her need...
Thanks so much Chris. Just to be clear, West Sussex offers an 'adult social care assessment' (which we have applied for). Is this the same as the 'needs assessment' you mention?
Thank you very much for the advice, everyone. Yes, mum rents her home. I have discussed with her what she would prefer and it's because she is losing confidence and feeling lonely, as well as finding it increasingly difficult to manage on her own with worsening eyesight, that she is now wondering wh...
Up to now my mum (86) has been living in her own house despite having poor mobility and being registered blind. This has been possible because I've put in a lot of time and effort supporting her but now she is becoming forgetful and confused and her needs are moving beyond what I can realistically p...