There should be help for carers out there; as you have discovered it's finding it that's the problem. It does not (OK, it should not) make any difference if your mother is self-funding. Round here there is a Carers' helpline and a booklet with all sorts of resources listed. If you have the energy, y...
My husband had dysphasia because of a brain tumour and also later had a stroke. Speech therapy here (I am in the UK) covers communication in its broadest sense, not just speech. So they helped him focus on achieving independent communication as far as possible. They worked, for example, on 'cheat' t...
I can only speak about my experience, so I hope others can join in. Are you hoping those treating your Dad will be able to give you information, as well as support? If you do want information, it is also important to find a supportive place to get it, because answers can be really upsetting. My husb...
Dear Hannah I am so sorry you and your Dad have reached this point. I hope you will find that the Palliative Care team help you not just with the actual care but also with what they call 'difficult questions'. That is what happens where I live. They - or your Dad's GP surgery - might also be able to...
This Age UK leaflet explains it: see page 8 https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/a ... re_fcs.pdf

Chris from the gulag will know more, I am certain.
You deserve to sleep for a week! Thank you for letting us all know how it went.
It's good there will be two of you. Remember everything that you have done right and why (eg the care you have taken over investments and record-keeping, all the problems with health, welfare and medication in the past). Then some practical stuff for tomorrow. Do you know who is going to be at the m...
Oh Ron, what a mess. It's a wonder you have coped as long as you have. This is way beyond anything my family has dealt with, but I am sure when forum members wake up there will be people who can start to suggest ways forward. For the moment, well done on getting the legal advice about the house. The...
Hard to say what you need, but in case it helps, as well as what bowlingbun said: I wanted to know who to call when something went wrong, especially in the middle of the night (I got a 24/7 hospital number and a Council night service for emergency carers in case of falls or an unexpected care need I...
Hi Denise My husband was at risk of seizures and had a speech loss and reduced cognition (as a result of an aggressive brain tumour) so he could only be left for 10 minutes at a time. Our Council produced a booklet for carers (also available online) which listed all the support available, both free ...