Yep. It was manageable while he could leave the house (eg I’d get us consecutive appointments at the dentist and we could go in together) but once he was housebound that option disappeared.
The thing I found hard was to get one-off cover for medical appointments. Agencies seemed to want regular bookings and even the sitting service couldn’t find anyone for me. My daughter had to come (five hours travelling in each direction!) so I could go to a hospital appointment for myself. It put m...
OH had one of the pendant fall sensors. He carried on using it after he had a stroke when he walked with a tripod stick and struggled to sit and stand easily so sometimes sat down quite heavily. The only times it went off were when he took it off and put it down on a table or leaned against somethin...
Tess, that sounds good, thank you for letting us know. I'm sure if you have more questions, someone here will have answers.
Seconding the recommendation for a doorbell to call for help. On advice from other forum members, when I talked to the hospital pre-discharge I took a notebook and wrote down everything they said and who said it. (I explained this to them by saying I knew I wouldn't remember it all afterwards!.) My ...
I am so sorry this is happening to you. Starting to grieve for the loss of your Mum at the same time as having to look after her is so hard. (I know I cried for weeks when my dearly-loved husband was told about his brain tumour.) Even so, please ask for help for yourself while you are supporting the...
Is there a food bank nearby? They might have some to give away while you do battle with the NHS service. (We were able to donate OH's unopened packets and they said they sometimes had enquiries from people who needed them.)
Pet, I am so very sorry.
I also want to say thank you for the example you have set over the years, which helped me greatly while I was slowly losing my own husband.
Do accept all the love and help your family and friends offer you, to support you now.
Sarah, Social Services do have crisis care teams. They aren't going to offer, but you've managed to tell us, so you now need to find the strength to talk to your GP to get help for yourself and to Social Services to make it clear you cannot carry on.
This is really just to say hello and welcome as it's often quiet here at this time of day. Unfortunately I don't personally have a lot of experience of caring for the very elderly. You can send a letter to your Mum's GP (even if they won't tell you anything) in case they are not aware of how stresse...