Agree totally with the previous comments . Your feelings are normal and this is a safe place to let off steam. I always slightly envy people who say it is a pleasure to care for someone they love! I do not love even like my husband but for me caring is the only way I can keep my home and my cats and...
Hi Gloria Agree with all the suggestions - start to reach out to people. It sounds as if your husband like mine, was very controlling if he did not encourage/allow you to have friends but you are free of that now! I do understand it is a huge adjustment. Do you like reading? What about joining a Boo...
Daniel have you thought about contacting Al Anon? - a support group for families of alcoholics. I think the feelings you have are normal. I think you have gone the extra mile and you have a duty of care to yourself now. I do agree you need some support and some counselling right now. This is a safe ...
I found your post interesting. I do not eat meat and my husband is not eating much at the moment. I am happy to microwave meat dishes but cooking them is impossible as I had to remove the oven due to husband leaving the ring on and letting things over cook to the extent black smoked came out everyti...
No advice but to me it sounds like it could easily escalate into violence if your mother reaches breaking point and then it couldbe a police matter. Your mother sounds close to snapping and frankly she has to put herself first. Has any respite been offered? I know your father probably would not go w...
Sadly he has to want help and as long as he has 'mental capacity' he cannot be forced to seek or accept help. I would imagine his GP is well aware of the problem? Social Services do have a Duty of Care to him if he becomes a 'danger to himself' but this is so open to interpretation. I personally wou...
Oh Judy all I can suggest is counselling. I can relate SO much to your post. It is hard to care for someone if you really love them but if they have subjected their partner to decades of abuse, it is much more difficult. You do have choices. A solicitor maybe? Please remember you cannot be MADE to c...
Hi Cannot add much to the comments from the others.But yes, I can well believe your dog is a great comfort. It is normal to have days where you struggle. I found CRUSE telephone counselling quite good when I lost my late father - safe place to vent. They also had meetings but I was not able to atten...
Hello Karim. I am in a similar position - only child and I care for my very difficult 80 year old husband. Tell us more about your difficulties and challenges with your father. I am sure many will empathise. My problem with my husband is his non compliance with the medical staff and District Nurses....
Hello I am caring for my much older husband and I find it very isolating and lonely too. It is very hard to make plans as he can vary so much from day to day.Also socially he is very difficult and going out for a meal is now a nightmare. No easy answers but I Chair a Book Club and through that have ...