I find them variable. We had them twice a week for husbands pressure sores/ moisture lesions then down to once a week due ot his 'non compliance' re the advice given. It is a very hard job and I have had to point out to them that i have no medical training and can only do what the last visiting nurs...
It there has been abuse involved, physical or emotional, it might be worth contacting Women's Aid for advice? Also, go and see your GP and see if they will support you with regard to caring being detrimental to your physical and mental health. I do think Melly's advice is good but the reason I canno...
Agree with all the posters you do not HAVE to be a carer for your mother and brother. All you can do is try to help by getting outside help in place. Please do not sacrifice your own life. Not everyone is able or willing to care. I do not think that you are being selfish. I care because I have no ch...
Hello and welcome to the Forum. Caring can be so very lonely at times and we do understand. I am in a similar situation. My husband weighs 8st 7-8st10 - he has lost over 3 stones in the last couple of years. He too survives on the Fortisips. He even has pressure sores and the nurses come and visit o...
I think your post is very brave - often the first post is the hardest. I agree with Sally - can you search for a HIV support group locally? Even an online one may be an option? You do need to find people in a similar situation who can relate to what you are going through. My best friends now are car...
Davina you have my sympathy and I agree with Mrs A, I would have left too. I also agree it was pretty brutual way to tell a 91 year old about the dementia diagnosis. If he is in Sheltered Housing then at least he has some support? It sounds as if he will need regular help and visits if he is still a...
No wonder you are feeling hemmed in. You have far too much on your plate. Are you getting any outside help at all? I am sure others can give far better advice but if you have a local carers group contacting them would be a start. I would also go and see my GP if I were you and at least get my concer...
Andrea my local Carers Group provides a phone befriender service. Sadly over the last 7 years, 1 moved and one is not well so do not have one at the moment but hopefully will soon. Both of my friends had been carers themselves and I could not praise them enough - non judgemental and a friendly voice...
Hi Ann - yes I am in a similar position and my husband is 80 too and I am 57. No real gems of advice apart from remembering he has 'mental capacity'and is an adult and you can only prompt so far.....my husbands district nurses have stopped coming in twice a week - they now come once, due to his 'non...
The Forum for the Altzheimers Society is called Talking Point and Pet is correct it does deal with all the different kinds of dementia. If I understand correctly, each case is different and it is very hard to predict the rate of decline. Some good factsheets too so worth checking out?