A lot of your mum's behaviours will be down to the dementia Helen. She's not intentionally being miserable or nasty, she's behaving like this because the dementia has damaged and altered her brain so that she can no longer reason or see life 'normally' as most of us do. Have you looked on the Alzhei...
Just found your post Alexander. I care for my mum, who has dementia and can still stand to transfer, but can no longer walk. Well, actually she can, when there's a particular agency carer here, we get her to take a few shaky steps with the frame to transfer her, but I only do it with that carer, and...
An interesting post and interesting reading for me. Mum has Vascular Dementia. She has been hospitalised 4 times since it all kicked off majorly nearly three years ago. It never even occurred to me to think about restricted visiting hours, or even adhere to them had they existed! First hospitalisati...
Definitely unacceptable in my view, but sadly over on the Alzheimers' Society forum I read many stories like this, falls, injuries, broken hips, soon after admission to a home. Not everyone of course, but enough for it to worry me. The problem with dementia is that the only truly safe care for someo...
Mum often dozes off in her armchair, either resting on her hand/arm and then her head keeps flopping back as the back of the armchair isn't very high. Any ideas on a good support cushion, or something that would make her more comfortable? The armchair is quite wide, so I wondered about getting one o...
Reminds me of one of mum's hospital stays. She ended up on a cardiac step down ward where they woke everyone on the ward up at six in the morning by switching on bright lights and making even more noise than they'd made at night. I know, because I stayed a couple of nights before I got her out of th...
Nikki - I have to say that after many, many years of caring for my mum pre dementia, and now one and a half years with her (severe) dementia, I'm not doing any more surveys. Nothing has changed in umpteen years of me being a carer, and I doubt it ever will. Only when my caring role is over, will it ...
Phill - do have a look at the Alzheimer's Society website as well - they have a great forum called Talking Point with some very knowledgeable and supportive members. Someone there usually knows the answer to most questions or queries raised! I too look after my mum with dementia. It's very hard, but...
I think I've seen this before but yes, agree, desperately sad. With me it's my dear mum, but I can relate to the feelings of hopelessness, and, to the end statement too because, there is no hope and there will be no 'better' or end until mum dies, sadly. One thing though, I'm pleased that some of th...
I thought that would be the answer Maz :) I only raised it so you could see another reason why you are feeling low. Seems perfectly natural to me, in the circumstances. Clapped Out Carer Syndrome looming. Even superheroes get it :) You're right Mrs A. What I probably need to do is try another week'...