Brian has a hospital appointment on Tuesday. He has been taking seizures since the end of May. The Nurse Practitioner from the medical centre has been in to see him umpteen times but unless you actually see him taking them, it's hard for her to diagnose. The doctor has finally decided to refer him t...
Hi Bowlingbun,. I have started knitting again after stopping when my children wouldn't wear handknits any more. Over the past few weeks I have discovered my love for it once more and am enjoying trying more advanced patterns. I have more quiet time now that I am no longer at his beck and call all da...
Hi all, thanks for your advice. Elaine, you are correct in thinking he would be doing this to make me feel guilty. He has always been a very self centered man. He has had ill health for the past twenty three years since he had to have a heart bypass at aged 50. He was forced to give up working and I...
My husband Brian has now been in a nursing home for over a year. It has been a long time since I was on here, but he had a stroke four years ago after twenty years of ill health due to heart disease. I have been caring for him since his first heart attack at 50 when he had a triple bypass and had to...
Help, I can't read any of the messages, they are all in Chinese!!!!
We have been waiting for a vacancy in a nursing home for my husband since January. His Social Worker advised me to visit as many nursing homes in the area as I could, the more names we have, the better chance he had of getting a place in one of them. I managed to visit four homes and they all looked...
My husband has a permanent catheter and I have had to get the district nurses out many times to flush it when it has bypassed. I would not recommend attempting this yourself. As already said, this should only be undertaken by a trained nurse. Don't let them encourage you to try it yourself. It's a n...
I am in exactly the same situation as you. My husband had a stroke four years ago which left him with a paralised left arm and very weak left leg. His mobility has got worse in the past nine months and he is now bedridden with two carers in the morning to wash and dress him and two at night to get h...
Couple of really good comments just been said - "we are chained to our caree" and "not in control of our own lives". That has just hit the nail on the head. My husband had a bad stroke four years ago and is now bedridden but it's as if I had the stroke as well. He cannot be left alone in the house f...
From a Scottish carer, I won't hold my breath for any interest being shown in carers' problems. I am invisible to all professionals involved in my husband's care. All they are interested in is leaving me to get on with it and on no account to pester a doctor to come and visit. My husband and I are s...