[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers UK Forum - Search
I haven't come across this, Joan, but I just came to say don't knock it. The fact that mum is 94 with considerable health problems but is good to look after and clearly well cared for is lovely. Long may it continue. Dementia is so unpredictable and hits many people in different ways. I found my mum...
HI Marymary, Welcome to the Forum. If you can afford it, you can get dementia sitters. I used to have a couple of ladies come to chat to my mum once a week which I organised via Tapestry. They were very kind but mum hated them,. I had to tell her that she was training them for those who really neede...
Hi Nikki, I would echo the advice about writing to the GP, maybe with a diary list of all the complaints. My mum had a long list of (real) physical ailments along with the dementia. As the dementia progressed, she would complain of leg pain when her stomach hurt or vice versa. She was no longer capa...
Hi Daisy, Welcome to the Forum. Oh, believe me, there is no carer on earth who has not felt both resentful and guilty at the same time. And, as you say, you will get your life back when mum is no longer here which is not of course what you want. A rollercoaster of emotions. I felt frustrated and res...
Hi Tigerlily, And welcome to the Forum. I hope you find it a good place to offload and chat along. You will find some of us chatting on Roll Call in the members section. Don't be shy, just join in, we were all new once. It must have been a terrible time for you both when your husband was in hospital...
Hi Tina, My mum had dementia and then broke her hip. Walked very badly afterwards and refused to do some of the physio. What did the hospital say about your mum's inability to walk? Are there any follow-up appointments for her hip? In my mum's case it seemed that the operation worsened her dementia ...
Hi Liz, Welcome to the Forum. Hope you find it useful. So difficult doing long-distance caring. I did it for my mum for a number of years before eventually caving in and moving closer to her (but not in!!). Does either parent have a diagnosed form of dementia? Just wondered as it is important to get...
Hi,

Locking this thread now as no longer active
Debby, From what you say, you want to look after mum in your home yourself but want a break from time to time. Is that correct? If so, I would call a family meeting (phone, zoom, whatever) and tell your siblings exactly what you would like. They may well let you down or not agree but what is to lose...
Nikki, in the care home my mum sat on the right hand side of the room as on the left hand side they "put all the old people and those who have lost their marbles"!!