Hi ExD (and Sue), I had the same frustrating issue but sadly no answers. Sometimes I found that mum would accept it if the request came from careworkers but not from me. I do think you come to the point where there is little you can say or do that makes any difference. If it comes to a point where m...
Hi Shaz, Welcome to the Forum. I too cared for my mum with dementia. Also single with no children. Problem with that is that it all falls on us. I guess on the plus side, there are no in-laws to deal with. How are you coping at the moment? Any questions, just shout. Lots of us here have the t-shirt,...
Very sorry to hear of your loss, Anna. As with my mum, I suspect you lost "her" some time ago before her death. Nevertheless, a difficult time for you. Yes, please take caring for your dad one day at a time. We will be here for you when you want to talk.
Anne x
Sadly we do, Antonella, I could have written your posts. I second what Bowlingbun says about making mum "happy". Sadly, you have probably gone beyond that stage. It is now too late to get permission from your mum about respite care and, dare I say it, ultimately possibly nursing care. You may reach ...
Barbara, I wish I had someone like you when I was caring for my mum. My mum would have agreed with her about the taste of Fortisip but did quite like Fortijus, same nutrients but fruit juice flavours. The doctors don't often recommend it because it is more expensive but it is worth asking. You can a...
Nicola, What type of dementia does your mum have? If it is vascular dementia, the illness seems to remain stable for a while and then get worse n stages. Sadly, whatever type of dementia it is, in my mum's case, as it got worse, she was first unable to walk and then unable to toilet herself. It was ...
Sarah, sounds very much like my mum. In short, you will not convince her. She now lives in another reality. All you can do is pretend that it is the real world, as Melly suggests. I told mum that Anne was staying overnight with friends and would be back tomorrow, or that we were staying in the house...
Just to add to the housing discussion, when my mum needed to go into a home, the house was owned jointly by my mum and myself. The council wished to force a sale to pay for her care. I consulted a solicitor who said that the sale could not be forced as no-one would wish to buy half a house. I simpli...
So was I, NHS! Dulcie, I,recognise that combination of worry, panic and exhaustion. All those worries together must be overwhelming. I would suggest writing them all down and listing them in order of urgency. Sometimes it is helpful if you can tick things off or even notice that something you were w...
I see I have arrived just in time. Sorry, l knew champagne in the hot tub was a bad idea😎

Now does anyone want a canapé?