Barbara, I wish I had someone like you when I was caring for my mum. My mum would have agreed with her about the taste of Fortisip but did quite like Fortijus, same nutrients but fruit juice flavours. The doctors don't often recommend it because it is more expensive but it is worth asking. You can a...
Nicola, What type of dementia does your mum have? If it is vascular dementia, the illness seems to remain stable for a while and then get worse n stages. Sadly, whatever type of dementia it is, in my mum's case, as it got worse, she was first unable to walk and then unable to toilet herself. It was ...
Sarah, sounds very much like my mum. In short, you will not convince her. She now lives in another reality. All you can do is pretend that it is the real world, as Melly suggests. I told mum that Anne was staying overnight with friends and would be back tomorrow, or that we were staying in the house...
Just to add to the housing discussion, when my mum needed to go into a home, the house was owned jointly by my mum and myself. The council wished to force a sale to pay for her care. I consulted a solicitor who said that the sale could not be forced as no-one would wish to buy half a house. I simpli...
So was I, NHS! Dulcie, I,recognise that combination of worry, panic and exhaustion. All those worries together must be overwhelming. I would suggest writing them all down and listing them in order of urgency. Sometimes it is helpful if you can tick things off or even notice that something you were w...
I see I have arrived just in time. Sorry, l knew champagne in the hot tub was a bad idea😎

Now does anyone want a canapé?
Ditto! Having a one woman pity party here too but only allowed to be miserable in the virtual world. Roll on the 3rd!!!!
Stephen, Just another point to consider - my mum's house was owned jointly by her and myself. Social Services wanted to force me to sell the house but I argued that one could not sell half a house. Social Services only backed down when a solicitor sent them a strongly worded letter telling them that...
(((Hugs))), Faye. I am not surprised you lost it, anyone would. How a nurse can think it is acceptable to leave an old frail man in that condition is beyond me. I have "lost it" several times at hospital and, to be honest, I think my mum got better treatment as a result. You should not have to do it...
Definitely a key safe, Melly, My mum's was fitted by the company who provided it with no fuss. All carers are very experienced in using them and, even though she lived in a high crime area, it was never tampered with. In fact we were told by the Police that even experienced burglars found them diffi...