Hi Wendy, And welcome to the Forum. I am ex carer but was also an only child caring for an elderly stubborn but much loved mother. If you are to continue caring for her, you need regular breaks. Who knows, she may appreciate you more when you return?? I know it is very difficult but if she gets atte...
Hi Faye, A confusing maze of information but you are right to be prepared ahead of the game. Either the local council or the manager of a local care home should be able to give you an indication of the maximum the council will pay. In my own area (London borough) it is around £800 per week. You are ...
Just sending ((hugs)) to Penny and MrsA. Penny, we have all been there and, as you rightly say, your mum will not remember. The only person you are upsetting is you. We all know the theory of what we should do in those moments but when you are tired, stressed, it is very difficult to remember.
David, I agree with the others - DO NOT agree to pay the top up. Now is the time to enlist the help of the Care Home Manager - after all, they have a vested interest as they want their money! They will also have come across this many times before. The local authority will have a maximum that they ar...
Hi Dahna, This certainly exists. A colleague of mine uses it. She has the patch on her arm, scans it with her Iphone and the reading is sent to her, her boyfriend and her diabetic nurse. She can also produce a report from the App. She highly recommends. I understand that this was arranged through he...
Hi Allison, And welcome to the Forum. My circumstances were slightly different in that I was caring for my mum with mixed dementia but I did continue to work throughout caring for her. It was exhausting in many ways but in retrospect I was glad that I continued to work as it gave me an escape from t...
Hi, I hesitated about putting this as I have zero links with the company and know a grand total of ONE person who has used them. However, a friend of mine with a terminal cancer diagnosis recommends this company for travel insurance when you have multiple health problems. She paid £36 for insurance ...
:D :D I'm glad she couldn't eat a whole one!
So sorry to hear what you are going through, Pam. Dementia is a dreadful disease. I can only base my response on my experience of caring for my mum who had both vascular dementia and Alzheimers. I tried everything to tempt her to show an interest in something / anything. I also took her out to place...
Faye, That is dreadful and reminds me of the arguments I had with Social Services. Do NOT give up work to look after your dad, I know the temptation but that is exactly what the Council wants. They have a duty of care. Unfortunately you will need to play hardball to get anywhere. If you can afford i...